Underwater navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishlips_1

Reaction score
Being a newbie to SCUBA, I have started my AOW, but my instructor dive masters and does the servicing for a dive resort in Rotan, and will be there for a month. On land, I have a pretty good sense of direction, but under water my sense of direction kinda stinks. Any tips? Would appreciate any helpful hints.
Lips

First, bubbles always go up.

Second, buy a simple compass (learn the correct way to use it), and take it on guided dives. Then take some headings during the dive and see if they match the breifing.

If there is a sandy patch on the bottom with ripples, the ripples are parallel to the shore, and the shallower water is closer to shore.

When you start a dive where you will enter and exit from the same point, try and find a unique coral, rock, or any feature that you can remember. Then try and find it again when you are heading for the exit.

Try some of these when you have a dive guide leading you, so you aren't worried about getting lost. Eventually you will start saying 'Hey! I know where we are.'

I hope some of these will help you.

djkpsu:
First, bubbles always go up.

Second, buy a simple compass (learn the correct way to use it), and take it on guided dives. Then take some headings during the dive and see if they match the breifing.

If there is a sandy patch on the bottom with ripples, the ripples are parallel to the shore, and the shallower water is closer to shore.

When you start a dive where you will enter and exit from the same point, try and find a unique coral, rock, or any feature that you can remember. Then try and find it again when you are heading for the exit.

Try some of these when you have a dive guide leading you, so you aren't worried about getting lost. Eventually you will start saying 'Hey! I know where we are.'

I hope some of these will help you.
Thanks so much!
The bubbles going up thing should really help.LOL
I guess its kinda like riding in a car someplace, even though you've been there plenty of times,you never seem to really get it till you drive there yourself.
Lips

If you are an out and back dive, take time to look back where you came from, the perspective will help you recognize features easier.

Fishlips_1:
Being a newbie to SCUBA, I have started my AOW, but my instructor dive masters and does the servicing for a dive resort in Rotan, and will be there for a month. On land, I have a pretty good sense of direction, but under water my sense of direction kinda stinks. Any tips? Would appreciate any helpful hints.
Lips

Well one thing is... Trust your compass :)

Practice on land navigating with it...

Practice setting headings and reciprocals...

Practice do squares/rectangles...

Understand that underwater navigation limitations...

Use an intentional error factor on long distances...

Paul in VT

Fishlips_1:
Lips

First you will need a compass and decide on a mounting format be it console, wrist, slate or on it's own retractor. Between your OW manual, what comes with the compass (if anything) and back issues of dive training magazine you can learn a lot. On our second dive we took a heading at out entry point, went to our turn pressure and reciprocated and hit out entry within 75 feet. Yesterday we did a triangle it worked out as well.

If you read a little and fumble with the compass on land it get's pretty obvious. The skill seems to be tracking distance. You pick up methods by reading as mentioned. Taking a navigation module in AOW will hone what you learn while waiting.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom