Buying dive equipment in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buksida

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been in the market for some new kit for quite a while now and have become familiar with a couple of local dive operators. I have also checked out a couple of the shops in Bangkok (since there are none where I live in Hua Hin).

My biggest observation is that Scubapro seems to have the market cornered here and there is rarely any alternatives. Now don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Scubapro kit, I would just like a bit more of a choice (I do like Mares gear thou).

Is this the case country wide? I know there are a couple of big shops on Phuket but I just don't have the time to get down there. I'd really like to get myself sorted before my liveaboard trip in November but the clock is ticking and I don't want to be forced into buying a Scubapro S600 simply because theres no alternative here.

buksida:
My biggest observation is that Scubapro seems to have the market cornered here and there is rarely any alternatives. Now don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Scubapro kit, I would just like a bit more of a choice (I do like Mares gear thou).

Is this the case country wide? I know there are a couple of big shops on Phuket but I just don't have the time to get down there. I'd really like to get myself sorted before my liveaboard trip in November but the clock is ticking.

In a way, you are correct—Dive Supply have become a huge operation and hence Scubapro and Suunto have a very strong (and huge) presence in Thailand. I am not familiar with the situation in Phuket, but here in Krung Thep/Bangkok, Mares (BCs, regs and fins) and Oceanic/Aeris (fins, regs and dive computers) products are readily available at competitive prices. It is also quite easy to find UWATEC computers—ironically distributed by Mares (Planet Scuba) in Thailand.

buksida:
I don't want to be forced into buying a Scubapro S600 simply because theres no alternative here.

To be honest, for diving in Thailand, it’s hard to beat Scubapro for value—you should be able to pick up (as a dive professional) a MK25/G250 for around THB 14,000+ or go for the cheap and bulletproof MK2+/R190. I must admit that I am not a big fan of Bangkok Dive Supply but have always found Phuket and Krabi Dive Supply to be very professional and helpful.

For what its worth, I used to use Scubapro S600/Mk 25 and did not like it very much. I now keep it for my pony bottle. I ended up with Aqualung Legend which I like a lot better. However Aqualung dealer is relatively low key and has very little stock beside Aqualung Titan. I had to ask the dealer to special order the Legend for me. The dealer is Seats. The store is located near Silom area and only open Mon-Fri. Luckily the owner frequents pubs near where I live so I usually order by phone and do all transactions at the pubs in the evening (he is also a dealer for Ikelite) ! Rather convenience for me actually :) He does have a pretty good tech for Aqualung so service is not a problem.
Mares, Oceanic, Sherwood and Tusa are also pretty easy to find. If you want Apex, the only dealer I am aware of is in Phuket.
PM me if you want contact number for Seats. It is best to call the owner directly as the rest of the helps in the store is pretty clueless (not an unusual phenomenon in diveshops in Bangkok, for some reason).

ssra30:
If you want Apex, the only dealer I am aware of is in Phuket.

The official Apeks dealer for Thailand is Samui Scuba Pro Co Ltd.

124/189–191 Moo 3 T. Maret, Koh Samui, Suratthani 84310, Thailand

tel: 774 18188 fax: 774 18189

Less common brands such as Dive Rite and Poseidon (as well as Mares) and Nitrox fills can be found at Zcuba Tech

400 Sukhumvit 79, Wattana, Phakanong, Bangkok 10250.

tel: 0-2740-3693-4 fax: 0-2332-2187

The Living Sea sells Ralf Tech (BCs, wetsuits and bags), Gull (Masks, fins, snorkels) and 10-BAR housings.

59 Sukhumvit 63, Ekamai, Klongton-Nue, Wattana, Bangkok 10110

tel: 0-2392-2125 fax: 0-2392-2126

Larry's Dive on Suk 22 are also Poseidon dealers I recall.

Oceanic is on Suk 39, they sell Aeris also I recall.

Baans - what do they sell?

there are a lot of "I recalls" as I haven't bought much gear in a long time, the last time I bought anything I emailed "Udo" at All4diving in Phuket, they gave me a good deal and sent it up to Bangkok on the bus for collection from the bus driver which could be a good option for you.

ssra30:
For what its worth, I used to use Scubapro S600/Mk 25 and did not like it very much. I now keep it for my pony bottle. I ended up with Aqualung Legend which I like a lot better. However Aqualung dealer is relatively low key and has very little stock beside Aqualung Titan. I had to ask the dealer to special order the Legend for me. The dealer is Seats. The store is located near Silom area and only open Mon-Fri. Luckily the owner frequents pubs near where I live so I usually order by phone and do all transactions at the pubs in the evening (he is also a dealer for Ikelite) ! Rather convenience for me actually :) He does have a pretty good tech for Aqualung so service is not a problem.
Mares, Oceanic, Sherwood and Tusa are also pretty easy to find. If you want Apex, the only dealer I am aware of is in Phuket.
PM me if you want contact number for Seats. It is best to call the owner directly as the rest of the helps in the store is pretty clueless (not an unusual phenomenon in diveshops in Bangkok, for some reason).
Sorry to hijack but why don't you like the mk25/s600? I can't really think of any strikes against it.

jiveturkey:
Sorry to hijack but why don't you like the mk25/s600? I can't really think of any strikes against it.

For me, Aqualung Legend just breathe a lot easier. I supposed Scubapro was not bad, but when I compare it side by side, there was no contest (at least for me anyhow). I also had problem with S600 leaking water into my mouth sometimes when I look up. I had the reg service a few times but could not resolve the problem. I don't know if this is an isolated event or not. With Aqualung, I could be doing a handstand, have my head bury in the sand with my legs straight up (happen often with dSLR camera) and I never get water in my mouth and breathing was very easy in all position.

Aqua Lung (Aqua Lung, Sea Quest, U.S. Divers etc.) and UWATEC products can also be found at Wahoo Diving Center

114 Sukhumvit 26, Klongton, Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110

tel: 02 - 2607901-2 fax: 02-2607903

info@wahoodivingcenter.com
www.wahoodivingcenter.com

Vie:
It is also quite easy to find UWATEC computers—ironically distributed by Mares (Planet Scuba) in Thailand.

Correction: UWATEC is now distributed by Aquamaster Co. Ltd.—also the distributor of Aqua Lung, SeaQuest, U.S. Divers, Deep See, Sea and Sea, Spare air, Underwater Kinetics, IDE Compressor, Ralf Tech and Otter Box.

www.aquamaster.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom