Jakarta and surrounding areas safe for Westerners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jxhopper

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am taking my wife of two years back to her homeland of Indonesia for a one month visit. My mother is going to accompany us for two of the four weeks. Most of her family lives very near to Jakarta. I would like to hear everyone that has any knowledge about safety concerns for Westerners in or around Jakarta and any other areas in that region. My wife is 16 weeks pregnant (we did not include this in our trip planning last year:)). I would like to do some diving in the area, so any recommendations for this time of year would be excellent. Primary concern is safety and risks for Westerners in the area (considering my company).

Please do post anything about a trip that you may think interesting or important for us to know.

I look forward to receiving your input!

Thanks,

Jason

I have close friends in Jakarta and they say it is okay IF you have a driver which is very cheap to do. Don't walk in sketchy areas, just like LA or New York......I have been invited to their home many times and they have a compound with guards. He is Dutch Indonesian and she is Chinese. For awhile they were killing the Chinese christians because the perception was that they had been given favor by the old government and had a disproportionate amount of power economically. He bought a house in Hawaii and parked his wife and two daughters here for a couple years and then sold me the house when it became safe again.

Having said that, I don't really know. We just came home from Indonesia but Jakarta is supposedly a bit riskier than other areas, because it is a big city.

Don't drive yourself, but it is safe IMO.

Not the most exiting part of Java or Indonesia though. I have done some diving there at the islands right in front of the coast, I think it was called the 1,000 islands, which was reasonably good, worth to go and dive there.

stevenl:
Don't drive yourself, but it is safe IMO.

Not the most exiting part of Java or Indonesia though. I have done some diving there at the islands right in front of the coast, I think it was called the 1,000 islands, which was reasonably good, wordt to go and dive there.

We won't be restricted to diving near to Jakarta. We will be spending much time with her family there, however we will be able to travel reasonable distances for diving. Where would you suggest as the best area for diving in and around Indonesia?

We plan to spend much time travelling around to the other areas of Indonesia.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

jxhopper:
We won't be restricted to diving near to Jakarta. We will be spending much time with her family there, however we will be able to travel reasonable distances for diving. Where would you suggest as the best area for diving in and around Indonesia?

We plan to spend much time travelling around to the other areas of Indonesia.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

As you surely know, Indonesia is all spread out over a great area of water, and there is amazing diving throughout the territory. It is widely believed that Raja Ampat, in the Indonesian state of Irian Jaya is the epicenter of marine biodiversity on the planet. Then there's the diving on north Sulawesi (Manado area) as well as south Sulawesi (Wakatobi), Flores (Komodo), Penida and Lembongan (near Bali), Bali itself. All are well-known "dream destinations" for many divers. I'm sure it's possible to spend an entire dive career in Indonesia and not feel like you've dived it all. How lucky you are to have the whole thing to choose from!

Jason,
Jakarta is a big city of 12 million people (including thousands westerners) where they might earn from US$ 1 to 10,000 a day and spending 10 cents to US$ 1000 for a dinner. Crime rate is relatively high but don't worry, your wife and her familiy surely know how to handle it - probably you'll be safer than themself or most of the locals.
Driving in Jakarta for foreigner is not recommended although fatality is relatively low since everybody anticipate anything may happen. Porsche is not faster than 10 cent's public bus.
Jakarta is not famous for Diving, but you still can enjoy diving at Thousand Island - 1 to 3 hours boat from Marina Ancol Beach; some sites still healthy but viz is poor during moonsoon (Nov - Dec). Or, at Sunda straits (Krakatau, Tempurung, Sanghyang) - 2 hours by car to Anyer + 1 to 2 hours by boat.
Other easy choice is Bali less than 1.5 hour from Jakarta with more than 20 flights a day is available.
Let me know if you need more info of Jakarta -

Cheers

I travel around Indonesia quite frequently; last trip was two weeks ago. Prior to that 6 weeks ago. In my opinion it is safe for me. I definately do not look like a local.

For Jakarta, 1000 islands are nearby, not great but there is some diving.

Assuming you need some comfort and luxury considering you have a pregnant wife, I would choose Bali for an extended trip. She will be well taken care of while you dive.

If your plan is to leave her with her parents and relatives, then the choices are fantastic for diving. Somehow I think, she would prefer you by her side during this period of her life. Imagine all big and swollen, she needs some pampering and TLC, hence Bali.

When diving in Bali, you end up in the remote sites, far from all the hustle and bustle of Denpasar, Kuta, Nusa Dua... So it is very safe.

Thanks for the info. I definitely won't be going anywhere without my wife. We will be going together and probably with some of her family on any trips we may take. Unfortunately, she just won't be able to dive.

Again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond to this thread!

I am a weightlifter. I am concerned about being able to work out while I am in and around Jakarta for a month. Can anyone tell me of a gym, preferably near to Jakarta Timur?

Thanks!

There many gyms in Jakarta Timur as well as other part of Jakarta, depend where the area you'll be staying there. Most of new real estate has nice gym, some of them exclusive for member but you can always negotiate. Rafles hill and Kota Wisata Sport Club (I was living here till Aug 2005) are among the best. Some open to public for Rp. 50,000 - 100,000 (US$ 6 - 11)per entry. Most of new mall also has gym open to public.
You may also consider visit the National Sport Center Senayan - South Jakarta - where the national athletess are there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom