The purpose of lobster "mini-season"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg G.

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the reasoning is behind having a two-day lobster mini-season smack dab in the middle of the week, only to close lobster season then re-open it again a couple of weeks later? If you're going to open it up for just two days, why in the middle of the week, why not on the weekend? Inquiring minds want to know!

Greg,

Weds & Thurs cause of the raucous atmosphere and crowds when it used to be on the wk end. 2weeks before the commercial boats and divers get to pillage. The commercial boats used to have 3 million traps allotted to Fla, mostly in the Keys. Commercial divers can harvest hundreds a day for the 1st few days. Thus a mini sport prior to the opening in August. This is a well managed resource as the population is very stable albeit not as plentiful as in the 1700s and 1800s when shipwreck victims could live on bugs they could walk out and grab.

I suspected as much. Yes, it's not hard to picture the near-riot if it were on a weekend, especially tourists. As such, it's doubtful I'll be able to participate, unless I call in sick one of those days.

My tourist butt is going to be down there participating:) ......gona do our first dive that night at 12:00 am .....its gona be my first salt water dive at night looking foward to it

Come on down, the water's fine! If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have scheduled my vacation for this week so I could be out there too.

P.S. Spend lots of money! :wink:

Originally posted by Scubasteve78
My tourist butt is going to be down there participating:) ......gona do our first dive that night at 12:00 am .....its gona be my first salt water dive at night looking foward to it

Well my sister lives in Deerfield and her boyfriend has the boat so i'm going on a budget bug hunt for sure:) However i'm sure the local bars and restaurants will appreciate the extra income<G> I leave houston tomorrow at 1:30 i can't wait!!! I'm so ready to dive in some decent water the gulf has not been kind to us this year .. :(

Yup, I hear that, budget diving. Unfortunately I don't know anybody with a boat, I have to pay through the nose for a charter. :( If work wasn't behind as it is, I would call in sick at least one of those days and try to do a shore dive. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple weeks.

I live in the keys and dive it all the time. These two days do more damage to the reefs than tourist do all year. If you come to the keys keep in mind there are plenty of bugs on the gulf side.

Because there are enough deaths during mini season when it is held in the middle of the week. If it were on a weekend, then twice as many divers, who only dive this one time a year, would be getting themselves dead.

I might be wrong but the logic is sound if you look at mini season history.

Yup, I hear that, budget diving. Unfortunately I don't know anybody with a boat, I have to pay through the nose for a charter. :( If work wasn't behind as it is, I would call in sick at least one of those days and try to do a shore dive. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple weeks.

Hey, you could call in, say "I think I'm catching some bug" and will have told (pretty much) the truth. :)

Steve

Back
Top Bottom