Night Time Blocked Nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Every night, I go to bed, if I don't fall asleep straight away, I always seem to have one nostril that gets blocked, it clears in the morning after a while, but I am wondering if there is a medical condition for this or is it just bad luck?

Thanks,

Bobby

Yes, I think that the Neti-Pot is great and often recommend it.

There is something called the "nasal cycle" where the tissue on the side of the nose (the turbinates) alternatively swell on one side and then on the other side. However, if the blockage is always on the same side, it is probably a good idea to see an ENT doctor to see if there is something anatomic causing the problem (like a deviated septum, etc...).

If you want a local referral, feel free to PM me...

Best,

Mike

I too have found the nasal rinse very helpful. I don't use it all the time, but when ever a dive is coming up I start a week or so ahead with some sort of rinse. A hot shower in the morning and then the sinus rinse works wonders before a dive. Allergies! Don't want to risk medicating, and have found this solution works best for me.

Could you be allergic to something in your bed? Feather pillows, dust mites, something like that?
I second the sinus rinse recommendation. I use the NeilMed, and it helps a lot.

Is the blocked nostril on the side you sleep on? Or the side you slept on most recently during the night. It may just be drainage and after you wake up and get "vertical" the problem is solved.

Back
Top Bottom