Fix 52mm adaptor for UWL-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Am new to the forum but have been reading with great interest all the advice, esp from Nemrod and co.

I'm from Singapore and am about to get the Fix housing for my s95, together with the Fix UWL-04 for wide angle photography.

As Nemrod has clearly advised, the UWL-04 doesn't vignette if attached to the Fix 90 housing using the 52mm apaptor. I'm assuming the Fix 95 housing would be similar to the Fix 90 (esp the lens port) so my burning questions are these:

What is the diameter of the lens port? Is it 67mm or 52mm? If it's 52mm, why do we need the 52mm adaptor to fit the UWL-04? Is it because of male/female compatibility of the lens and port? Is the 52mm adaptor made by Fix? What is the difference between the cheap ($35) one and the expensive ($190) one?

Hope my questions make sense and am grateful for replies.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not wanting to walk to get my housing and then measure it due to my busted leg, I think the FIX port is actually 49mm. The FIX port is male threaded. The 52mm adapter is a female thread. The native thread of the Fisheye UWL-04 lens is 52mm and they include a 52 to 67mm step ring which you do not need in this application. You would use the step up ring if you have the FIX 67mm port adapter kit.

With the 52mm adapter I generally find no but on rare occasion minor vignetting in the upper rh corner easily dealt with on Photoshop and the S90 left at wide (28mm). With the 67mm FIX port kit, using the 52 to 67mm step ring it is needed to zoom in to about 32mm to 35mm to eliminate vignetting.

As to the S95 and FIX housing, I assume there will be one and that it will function similarly with accessory lenses, sure hope so for everyone who bought a S95 (two in bush) vs the S90 (bird in hand).

N

Hi Nemrod,

Thanks for the clarification and all the help in the various posts I've been reading about the s90 and wide angle lenses for housings. Your detailed tests and write-ups have certainly helped me make up my mind about going the Fix route.

Hope that leg gets better soon!

Thanks again :)

Yes, it is kind of confusing, the FIX port is MALE threaded! Every other port I can recall is female threaded which is of course what you where thinking here. The FIX90 housing comes with a plastic slip-on port protector that of course immediately falls off and gets lost. They now have an aluminum thread-on protector. The purpose is to protect the port barrel threads from damage when they are not being used to mount an accessory and of course provide a clean appearance to the housing.

N

Yeah don't know why they can't keep it simple, for their sake and everyone else's!

Anyway, I think I will leave the 52mm adaptor in place even when not using the UWL-04. I intend to shoot only WA for now, so the WA lens would most probably be on for all my dives. Until I decide to shoot macro, I'll look up your other threads to see what my options are.

Oh one more thing...from all the threads on the UWL-04 and wet lenses, the consensus is that the UWL-04 is NOT a wet lens. However, with the 52mm adaptor, no port change is needed right? With this configuration, the UWL-04 then becomes a wet lens, doesn't it?

Oh one more thing...from all the threads on the UWL-04 and wet lenses, the consensus is that the UWL-04 is NOT a wet lens. However, with the 52mm adaptor, no port change is needed right? With this configuration, the UWL-04 then becomes a wet lens, doesn't it?

The male threaded port is actually a good thing in that it allows the accessory lens to nestle very close to the port lens.

The UWL-04 is most definitely a wet lens. The FIXG10/11 uses a variation of the lens that is a dry port system, the FIX90/(95?) use the standard UWL-04 which is a fully wet lens, removable underwater if need be.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom