AquaLung Titan LX vs ScubaPro Mk17/G250V?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChaosHokie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone...yet another "which reg is better?" thread here. I tried searching the forums a bit on this, but I never saw a head-to-head comparison between these two regulators.

Also, given that I'm kind of a noob at this, I've probably also picked the wrong ScubaPro setup to compare the Titan against....:confused:

So... basically I'm looking for a rec diving setup, as I currently don't plan on getting into Tech diving. I definitely dive warmer water more often, but don't want to rule out colder water dives in quarries and potentially some stuff in NE. I also don't want to rule out deeper dives (but within recreational limits).

Those constraints led me to the Aqualung Titan LX. Then I started reading here and everyone seems to rave about the SB Mk17/G250V setup, and from I can tell is fairly comparable to the Titan...unless I'm missing something.

With that said...which to pick...:idk:

If I had to pick between those two I'd pick the SP. I have used their regs for years and never had a single problem. I now have an Atomic T2X but that's a whole different price level. But you won't go wrong with a SP reg.

Actually the Legend series is more in line with the MK17/G250 if you want apples to apples

You'll be happy with either, but the MK17/G250 is considered a higher-end reg. That doesn't really matter, but I did hear a rumor that SP was discontinuing the G250V in the U.S. Since the G250 is one of the most successful 2nd stages, with a very long history, it might be worth getting one of those while you still can get a new one, if you're into that sort of thing.

OTOH, the titan 1st stage is an evolution of one of the most successful and long-lasting designs leading back to the US Divers double hose regulators. So, it's also an excellent choice.

You are pretty much compairing apples to apples. Both first stages are proven designs and both seconds are pretty much the same basic design. Assuming both are set up properly you will not be able to tell the difference between them. I would choose the brand that has the best reg tech located near me or which ever one I liked the best.

The main advantage of the SP over the Aqualung is that the SP has 2 HP ports (assuming you need 2 HP ports). I've never dove/used SP, do own 4 '2008 version' Titan LX's, took 2 of 'em to 150' in Cozumel 08/2010, both did just fine. I also own numerous Atomics/Mares/Apex/Poseidons too....so my Titan LX's are my 'low end' regs, and I was surprised at how well the Titans did relative to my more expensive regs!

If I was looking at these two I'd look at where im diving and how easy it is to service if there's a problem. Both great regs but if you don't have all the sp tools at your dispossal you'll be outta luck. We have been diving in areas that it would be had to find the tools somtimes. And the fact that you dont need alot of extra special tools to fix or maintain an aqua lung reg over the scuba pro would really help me make up my mind. Just something to think about CHEERS!

As others have said, what is serviced in your back yard can be a big plus. There are however many places where a reg can be sent ot be serviced. There are always good arguments about supporting your LDS. If you might be heading toward DM or beyond , buying what the LDS sells can save you some money in the future.
If none of the above matters you need to compare apples to apples. To do that you would want the Tita LX SUPREME. The regular Titan is not rated for water colder than 50 degrees F. The MK17 as it comes from the factory is rated for cold water as is well known in the cold water world of diving.
The LX SUPREME has an environmental section on it that makes it comparable to the MK17, the standard Titan LX does not. The SUPREME feature adds a bit to the price so if you are going to be comparison shopping be sure to look at the Titan LX SUPREME.
Obviously if the cold water feature of the Titan LX SUPREME is not necessary to you you can go with the Titan LX. Same goes for the Scubapro the. The MK11 /R395 would be an apples to apples with the Titan LX. You will like the prices of the warmer water versions. Not massive difference but definitely different. Also both manufacturers offer free parts for life (not labor charge though) as long as you have them serviced yearly. Miss a year with Aqualung and free parts ends. Miss a year with Scubapro though all you have to do is pay for parts on the next service cycle and your back on the free parts schedule.

Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom