Bauer Automatic Condensate Drain System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Bauer Mariner II compressor equipped ith an ACD system. The PLC (electronics) are programmed to drain the system every 15 minutes. Recently I noticed that the system is not draining on its own.

I replaced the solenoid kit, but the system is still not draining.

I checked the wiring at the PLC and there is voltage going to the system. The system lights on the PLC are lit for on the 0,i,2,3 for the "in" part of the PLC and 0, 1, 4,5 on the "out" part of the PLC. The power indicator light is lit, the run indicator light is lit, the error light is not lit, and the stat light is blinking on and off. I have to admit I know knothing about the PLC.

I cleaned the electrical contacts going to the ACD.

The system does drain when I turn the compressor off and the second stage pressure falls below 300 psi.

I have a couple of quick questions:

1. What could be causing the system not to self-drain while the compressor is running?

2. Is there any way I can continue to operate the compressor by manually draining the system, and if so how is this done (do I have to turn off the compressor, wait until the system drains when the second stage pressure declines to 300 psi)?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Your ADS solenoid is powered when to unit is running and building pressure. I would check the operation of the valves by disconnecting the electrical plug on the solenoid while the compressor is operating. When the power is removed form the solenoid the drain should operate. If it doesn't then you likely have a problem with the valves and a rebuild may be in order. If it does operate then you have a problem with your PLC. Some PLCs can be reprogramed but requires the oem chip to do it, I am not sure about Bauers new PLC systems.
If it is the PLC that is at fault then you can manually drain it by removing the solenoid electrical plug every 15 min. just don't bother doing up the screw the plug should remain on without falling off. Check with your Bauer rep for a fix.
ZDD

If the unit actually has a drain timer, that might be your problem. I have not done much with units that have the PLC, so I don't know if a timer is used.

Craig

If the unit actually has a drain timer, that might be your problem. I have not done much with units that have the PLC, so I don't know if a timer is used.

Craig

Apparently the older models had an analog timer, but the newer models have an electronic PLC and the 15 minute intervals are programmed into the PLC. At this point I would prefer an old fashioned analog timer.

Apparently the older models had an analog timer, but the newer models have an electronic PLC and the 15 minute intervals are programmed into the PLC. At this point I would prefer an old fashioned analog timer.

Does anyone have any idea where I can get one of these analog timers?

Your ADS solenoid is powered when to unit is running and building pressure. I would check the operation of the valves by disconnecting the electrical plug on the solenoid while the compressor is operating. When the power is removed form the solenoid the drain should operate. If it doesn't then you likely have a problem with the valves and a rebuild may be in order. If it does operate then you have a problem with your PLC. Some PLCs can be reprogramed but requires the oem chip to do it, I am not sure about Bauers new PLC systems.
If it is the PLC that is at fault then you can manually drain it by removing the solenoid electrical plug every 15 min. just don't bother doing up the screw the plug should remain on without falling off. Check with your Bauer rep for a fix.
ZDD

Hi Dave, thanks for your suggestion for the ACD system. I tried unplugging the electrical plug on the solenoid when the unit was running but the drain did not operate.

I wasn't sure if you meant the valves in the drain system might need a rebuild OR if you meant the valves on the second and third stages might need attention. I am assuming you meant the valves on the drain system, but I installed all new parts and the solenoid kit on the drain system.

I am waiting to hear from Bauer tech support.

Yes the 2 valves on the ADS. they are fairly easy to do and there is a kit you can get from Lawrence factor or Bauer for these but I would try taking them apart and just cleaning them and lubricating all parts with Dow Corning 111 prior to ordering any parts. Sounds like the pistons are just sticking.
Make sure that the pressure has bleed down completely prior to servicing them.
Let us know how you make out with it.
Good luck
ZDD

Does anyone have any idea where I can get one of these analog timers?

Try Lawrence Factor, they sell them and I am sure there is a LF dealer in your area.
Note that early model Bauer ADS drains had a solenoid that was only powered to dump unlike the newer units. These can be IDed by the 4 knobs on the ADS block.
ZDD

Yes the 2 valves on the ADS. they are fairly easy to do and there is a kit you can get from Lawrence factor or Bauer for these but I would try taking them apart and just cleaning them and lubricating all parts with Dow Corning 111 prior to ordering any parts. Sounds like the pistons are just sticking.
Make sure that the pressure has bleed down completely prior to servicing them.
Let us know how you make out with it.
Good luck
ZDD

Hi Dave, thanks again for all your help. I tried cleaning up all the parts (totally disassembled the ACD system), to no avail. Bauer suggested a newer model solenoid and coil which apparently are a superior design to the original factory installed unit. I have ordered the parts and am anxiously awaiting their arrival in Panama.

Hi Dave, thanks again for all your help. I tried cleaning up all the parts (totally disassembled the ACD system), to no avail. Bauer suggested a newer model solenoid and coil which apparently are a superior design to the original factory installed unit. I have ordered the parts and am anxiously awaiting their arrival in Panama.
I hope it works out for you, MAKO compressors had a similar issue with their ADS solenoid valve.
Let us know if it works out.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom