Going for NAUI Rescue Diver soon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My EMT-B Class is ending in a couple weeks and once Certified, I am looking to take the NAUI course with a local dive shop.

I want to just have this as a "add-on" to my EMT training/certs. Is there anything else anyone would/could recommend that I take as well?

I will be taking a CHT certification program as well so I will have Hyperbaric training too.

I am looking to become a Certified Commercial Diver (Unrestricted Surface Supplied Air/Mixed Gasses). Any extra side courses are just extra padding for a resume so I can work for a company for a while before breaking away to run my personal company full-time.

Thanks for any assistance, comments and or suggestions! :)

For the path that you are following, you really dont even need rescue. During Comm dive training and operations, rescueing a diver is far different than doing it while diving recreationally.

However, Rescue is still a good course, as it will give you the tools and techniques that you may not already have to act as a first responder during recreational diving operations. You already have the EMT skills, so basically its going to be a course on managemen t of mishaps and emergencies while in the water.

Have fun diving, hope you get as far as your ambitions can take you.

Sounds good. :)

Yea, I know it isn't truly needed for Com Diving, but I figured it couldn't hurt having the training as you mentioned above. It will be a nice skill set to have as apart of my EMT training. :)

Thanks for the imput. :)

Those courses look really intriguing! I will ddefinitely look into those as if I can tack on the IV/Intubation training ontop of my soon to be licensed EMT certification to carry the DMT cert as well that would be awesome!

The other program, the EDAM looks like a great learning opportunity that I could definitely benefit from! It would greatly improve not only my marketability when looking for a job for the first few years, but when I fully branch off to run my personal dive company full time.

Thank you for the posting as I will definitely look into this! :)

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2012 at 08:10 AM ----------

Kevrumbo, I talked with one of our Paramedic Instructors at our EMT course last night and he said that Catalina is a really good (world wide recognition) school to attend. He stated that he always wanted to do Dive Medicine, but never had the time to do it.

I need to find a local class that teaches A-EMT so I can get the IV/Intubation skill-sets needed to take the EDAM and then qualify for Dive Medic Certification. I was informed the earliest class locally won't be till this Fall, if that is the case that will push things back a bit more. Although, I should be able to get everything in line for next spring/summer to have all my Med Certs completed and have EMT/AEMT/Dive Medic with some HC experience. Then I can take my CHT Certification Course....so all looks good. :)

We run a weekend course at Catalina a couple of times a year for the invasive skills so EMT's can pick up the skills needed for DMT.

They just had one so it'll probably be a few months before the next one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom