Intova Sport Pro HD vs Go Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

its a perfect underwater cam w/out the hassle of paying more for upgrades and you can even review your shots in the water.it has a lcd at the back why pay more if it is the same with the other underwater cam with some extra features to it . and i can give a special price for the first 5 buyers now. just $199 follow us on facebook spearbigfish Spearbigfish Spear's Photos | Facebook

Looks intresting and a good competitor for go pro, who seems pretty indifferent to the scuba market.
I note that it can't shoot 60fps @720 like the go pro main models. That is too bad, means a lot less smooth tracking shots.
Be interested in seeing how it does in the offten low light Monterey diving. Also wonder if my powerful LED would screw it up the way it dose my go pro.

Some Intova videos Ive seen look pretty good underwater, it is pretty much a cheaper copy of the gopro though. At $199 it looks like a fun little camera to have a play with.

Smaller sensor and its only 5mpx looking at the specs up scaling this to 8 and 12 mpx which seems a little pointless maybe just trying to pretend to be a gopro hero2 lol.

The lens looks tiny on this thing too and of the example videos ive seen it looks like its got a much slower readout then the gopro off the sensor causing pretty bad rolling shutter. The underwater videos dont show this but the ones on land at the Intova site have some pretty nasty wobble about them.

Using micro sd cards I assume the data rate is pretty low too and its got a narrower FOV at 140 vs 170 which is one of the main things I like about the gopro camera.

This is a much cheaper option working out about half the cost compared to a gopro with flat lens so its a good option for those just wanting a cheap UW camera to play around with.

I have both. I like both. They each have their pro's and con's.

Most of it has already been mentioned above, so I will not get in to it.

I don't have any above water videos with it, but the below water ones are not bad. Intova has one of my quick clips on their website, I just found out about that. It is the one of the Lion Fish that Marty posted above.

I really do recommend the Intova for those looking for a nice camera to play around with on a easy on the wallet budget. For what you get, it is a good deal. You are not going to get award winning photos with it, but for someone just trying to document their dive and share some pics and video with family, it's great.

I have SUDS (Soldiers Undertaking Disabled Scuba) coming here soon, and I am going to be doing a video for them. If my Aqua Video housing does not make it here in time, I am going to be using my Intova and GoPros to document it. I honestly thin both will do the job just fine.

Grifon, you ask about your powerful LED screwing it up. What are you referencing? I use two Light & Motion SOLA 1200 video lights and don't have any problems.

Basically if I turn on my 1000candle led and the light intersects the go pro at all bellow 50 feet it looses it's ability to focus and recording goes nuts. I'll post a snippet if I still have them.

I have never seen that before with any of my GoPro cameras. I have it do white balance/color frek outs, but never focus. Post something up.

James, what are the "pros" of the Intova if the quality is not quite up to that of the Hero 2? It seems to have more controls to make it easier to change settings. How is the batt life compared to a hero with the lcd attached?

I would say the pros are white balance adjustability, zoom, cost, built in flat lens and LCD monitor. I also feel I have for better stills from the intova compared to my go pro. opinion of course. battery life on my go pro seems to be around an hour to an hour and a half. I have done two hours on the intova.

I have an intova sport hd. Pros - price. Cons: really small lcd and therefore difficult to modify settings underwater or on the surface; buttons do not respond very well on land or in the water.

Back
Top Bottom