I-169 truuk lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
Watching this on Netflix and I have a question. It's had 130 feet and John Chatterton is clearly using Nitrox for the penetration of the submarine.

Can somebody please give me a good reason for this?

Watching this on Netflix and I have a question. It's had 130 feet and John Chatterton is clearly using Nitrox for the penetration of the submarine.

Can somebody please give me a good reason for this?

Interesting, how did you analyze his gas over Netflix? There'd be no other way for it to be "clear" that JC was breathing nitrox. Also, by "nitrox" are we to assume you mean "enriched air nitrox"?

That said, the reason to use EANx on this dive is the same reason that you'd use nitrox on any dive: reduce nitrogen loading.

What issue do you see with using EANx on this dive? I did two dives on the 1-169 using EANx 28%. This is considered a "standard mix" for wrecks in the 130fsw range here in NJ. In fact, you'll ofter hear 28% referred to as "a Jersey mix."

One of the Deep Sea Detectives episodes.
he had a big, green and yellow label that actually said "Nitrox" on his tank. I was able to read the label quite clearly when he was getting ready to enter the water and saw the label as he was penetrating the hull.
Of course, no idea what mix it was. He had a single tank and the other guy had a RB, which he removed to don a little, single tank to do his penetration.
John penetrated and completed his dive on the same tank he splashed with, the "Nitrox" tank.

---------- Post added ----------

Interesting, how did you analyze his gas over Netflix? There'd be no other way for it to be "clear" that JC was breathing nitrox. Also, by "nitrox" are we to assume you mean "enriched air nitrox"?

That said, the reason to use EANx on this dive is the same reason that you'd use nitrox on any dive: reduce nitrogen loading.

What issue do you see with using EANx on this dive? I did two dives on the 1-169 using EANx 28%. This is considered a "standard mix" for wrecks in the 130fsw range here in NJ. In fact, you'll ofter hear 28% referred to as "a Jersey mix."
This is what I was asking. I wasn't sure exactly how deep it was and it seemed somewhat deep for Nitrox, especially if it was 32 or 38%.
I've gone down to 130 on a couple of dives in Bonaire with Nitrox but it was only for a few minutes each time.

One of the Deep Sea Detectives episodes. he had a big, green and yellow label that actually said "Nitrox" on his tank. I was able to read the label quite clearly when he was getting ready to enter the water and saw the label as he was penetrating the hull.
Of course, no idea what mix it was. He had a single tank and the other guy had a RB, which he removed to don a little, single tank to do his penetration.
John penetrated and completed his dive on the same tank he splashed with, the "Nitrox" tank.

The label on the tank tells you NOTHING about what's in the tank. A nitrox label tells you that the tank has been cleaned and serviced to accommodate "enriched air" nitrox blends of greater than 21%, but that doesn't mean that a tank with such a sticker MUST contain enriched air nitrox. I have two sets of doubles in my garage right now. Great big nitrox stickers on them. The gas in them is 21%... which IS "nitrox" by the way, just not "enriched."

Have you not covered topics related to EANx in your dive education as of yet?

Thanks. I've not seen Nitrox tanks filled with 21%, although I know they can be.
And yes, I have covered this. I just saw the label and made the assumption that he was diving enriched air, rather than 21%.
like you say, I can't analyse the tank on TV. But, also didn't know that Jersey Wreck divers typically dive 28%.
i always learn something. No need to chastise.

Thanks, guys. This is why I asked. Because I simply wanted to know what mix you would chose to dive at that depth, if given all available choices.
i haven't taken any classes for Tech-diving yet, so I don't know much about gas mixes, beyond what PADI offers in their books and Encyclopedia.
Plan to try attempt GUE-F next year sometime, but with a REC setup, most likely.
i don't see my hubby and I doing tech dives anytime soon, unless next year's move takes us near a state with caves or wrecks. If that happens, will reevaluate the plan.
I really do want to cave dive someday but oh, the money!

I'm not surprised you have questions like this after being certified for Nitrox via Padi. Fundamentals will actually teach you more about best mix and standard mix. Do some self study and brush up on the math before doing the course using the Daltons diamond equation etc. All diving is somewhat technical and in my opinion all divers should acquire at least that level of knowledge which Padi most often fails to teach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom