I'm a karate practitioner and I Picked A Fight with a MMA fighter on June 17th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josepsh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a karate practitioner and I Picked A Fight with a MMA fighter on June 17th. :D.

Wouldn't it have been great to have a Bruce Lee clone today, to throw into the MMA mix.... Lee was both a great striker and an excellent grapler, though he did not roll around for 5 minutes working on a submission....his thing was an INSTANT break, not an "eventual" submission. Steven Segal actually practiced this as well in real life, as did Terry Giles ( 750 straight knockouts in Kumite, 14 world championships. (80's and 90's)...Terry was also a stiker and a grappler that would break someone rather than work for a submission...and Giles competed at about 250 pounds of ripped muscle with more speed than the middle-weights. Problem today is just no good existing gene pool today for the Strikers.

. Problem today is just no good existing gene pool today for the Strikers.

I disagree.......

The problem is.....that....in order to be successful today in MMA as a striker - you have to be VERY good at avoiding a takedown. Not many are. There are plenty of really good strikers with KO power, but, in a long fight - its almost always going to end up on the ground.

Although Lee was better than most people know in submissions.....he trained them in a day where almost no one knew what to look for or how to avoid them.

Kind of like Royce Gracie in the early days. BJJ and submissions are very, very easy to execute against other fighting styles......but today almost everyone who trains in some sort of MMA learns BJJ. Executing correct submissions is much, much harder than it was. Every manipulation, jointplacement, leverage opportunity, and interupted blood vessel has to be perfect, since there is a counter for everything.

If I catch someone in an arm bar or Kimora and they are not trained....its "game over". If they have trained for a while - its the first move that is only used to set up a submission 6, or 7 counters later.

Bruce lee, Royce Gracie, and all the earlier guys didnt have to compete in that world.

Evey watching the earliest UFC again years later, its amazing how fast and how far the sport has evolved - some of those guys wouldnt survive today - and they were the best of the best back then. In fact, the sport evolved right past almost every one of them that tried to stay in the game.

I disagree.......

The problem is.....that....in order to be successful today in MMA as a striker - you have to be VERY good at avoiding a takedown. Not many are. There are plenty of really good strikers with KO power, but, in a long fight - its almost always going to end up on the ground.

Although Lee was better than most people know in submissions.....he trained them in a day where almost no one knew what to look for or how to avoid them.

Kind of like Royce Gracie in the early days. BJJ and submissions are very, very easy to execute against other fighting styles......but today almost everyone who trains in some sort of MMA learns BJJ. Executing correct submissions is much, much harder than it was. Every manipulation, jointplacement, leverage opportunity, and interupted blood vessel has to be perfect, since there is a counter for everything.

If I catch someone in an arm bar or Kimora and they are not trained....its "game over". If they have trained for a while - its the first move that is only used to set up a submission 6, or 7 counters later.

Bruce lee, Royce Gracie, and all the earlier guys didnt have to compete in that world.

Evey watching the earliest UFC again years later, its amazing how fast and how far the sport has evolved - some of those guys wouldnt survive today - and they were the best of the best back then. In fact, the sport evolved right past almost every one of them that tried to stay in the game.

Did you ever hear of Terry Giles...they called him Scary Terry in the 80's and 90's.....his grapple skills were equal to his striking, but in 95% of his fights, he knocked the opponent out in the first 20 to 30 seconds.
When Gracie began the first UFC, Giles tried to get in, but was refused on the grounds that he was a pro....Gracie knew Giles would eat up all the competitors and Gracie as well.

Regarding the old time champions that knew or trained with Giles, I was out with my wife and Terry was with his wife, at a restaurant once in Lake Worth, a Sushie place.... Bill Wallace came in ( Superfoot Bill Wallace), did a double then triple take, then came over to our table and sat down with us so he could chat with Terry for a while....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom