Hooka fatality - Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver from New Hampshire dies off Duck Key | News | KeysNet
A 48-year-old New Hampshire man died while diving off Duck Key Wednesday afternoon, the Monroe County Sheriff's Office says.
Matthew Prior was on a dive trip with his family aboard a vessel named the Seafari. Deputy Becky Herrin said that according to witnesses, Prior and others were diving on a hooka rig and he'd been underwater about 15 minutes.
A dive instructor underwater with Prior told deputies that Prior indicated several times he was alright before signaling he wanted to surface. As he was surfacing, Prior suddenly became unresponsive, Herrin said.
The instructor grabbed him, took him to the surface and called for help. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation was started when Prior was put back on the boat, which then headed back to shore.
Prior was pronounced dead at Fishermen's Hospital. An autopsy will be done to determine the cause of death.

The very limited info in the story sounds like it may have been an incident that happened while the victim was diving rather than an incident that happened because the victim was diving. 48 isn't old, but it's certainly old enough for medical problems.

I'm guessing the particular hookah was snuba, since the dive op that runs that boat offers it. I think snuba is pretty safe (they seem to have a very good track record), but it certainly has the potential for mishaps. I hope we get some decent info on this one.

Back
Top Bottom