adding 2nd strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
I am looking to add a 2nd strobe to my new camera (D70, Sea and Sea housing). I already have one Ikelite DS125.
Should I just add another DS125 or should I consider the Ikelite 200 and use the DS125 as a fill in?
The only reason I am thinking of the 200 is that while I shoot lots of macro, I am going to be shooting at F22 or smaller aparture to achieve decent depth of field so I am wondering if the extra power of the 200 might be more useful?

I would stay with DS125 which has the latest digital circuitry and operates with the Manual Controller. The 200 is about 1/2 f/stop brighter, but will not be able to do the new DTTL and ITTL when (and if) we decipher this Nikon protocol............

ssra30:
I am looking to add a 2nd strobe to my new camera (D70, Sea and Sea housing). I already have one Ikelite DS125.
Should I just add another DS125 or should I consider the Ikelite 200 and use the DS125 as a fill in?
The only reason I am thinking of the 200 is that while I shoot lots of macro, I am going to be shooting at F22 or smaller aparture to achieve decent depth of field so I am wondering if the extra power of the 200 might be more useful?

I use dual SS200's with my film Nikon N90s shooting strictly Provia. In a true "Macro" focus situation the actual f stop on either the 60mm or 105mm is 1 stop tighter (f-22 on the lens barrel is really shooting at f-32, f32=f45). Check your guide #'s of your strobe. If ALL you do is shoot macro than a second DS125 will be perfect . If you decide to try some WA shots however the 200 will give you a lot more reach. The 200's are reallyyyy huge beasts, however by the time you've housed an slr/dslr, what the heck is another few lbs.on the boat, UW they don't weigh a thing.

Hmm, I shoot mostly macro but I am also getting the 12-24mm lens so I am planning on doing some WA shots here and there. I definitely don't want to carry 3-4 strobes and hope to use 2 for both macro and WA (if possible). I do like the idea of using manual controller with DS125 to give me a bit more control over the strobe and wonder if the 200 might be a bit too powerful for macro or supermacro.
With OlyC5050 at F8, ISO64 and 1/8 power on the DS125, I sometimes already find the strobe a bit too powerful and have to keep moving the strobe back (with diffuser installed). Now with minimum of ISO200 on D70 and F22,F32 etc, I wonder if I will run into the same problem I had with DS125/C5050. I guess I should try to find Ike's table on the guide number and distance/exposure thingy again. It is probably somewhere in my messy desk at home.

Back
Top Bottom