dive video music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monarch_15w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am making a dive video from grand cayman and I am looking for some song ideas on where to get music with out lyrics. or any ideas on what to put of at background. I found one song on Itunes by luck and I don't know what to look for for an other one. Do you put music with lyrics on it or only instrumentals. Please help!!!!!!

I put New-Agey music to my dive videos.
Like Enya or Enigma.
Also like Gypsy Kings. Nice if you like latin music.

And don't laugh. I don't actually listen to this music, I just like it as background for videos.

There is a lot of free music available at sites like Freeplay Music, Broadcast Production Music Library, Free and Mp3 Music Downloads, See Usage Terms. and Creative Commons sites. Some editing software such as Pinnacle Studio comes with music. I prefer to use something mellow and soothing for underwater videos unless you have scenes of shark attacks or something equally dramatic. I like rock music as much as anyone, but I always mute Youtube videos if they blast the underwater scenes away.
[youtubehq]<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/amIJ-2SBpAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/amIJ-2SBpAk&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>[/youtubehq]

I would just say to be careful with the copyright-free music. I tried to watch a 4:30 video the other day, but the music literally had three notes, repeated again and again. By two minutes into it, the music was so annoying I had to mute it. It did not enhance the video at all.

Classical and chamber music lends itself well to a "pastoral feel" in a dive video. A co-worker that does some very nice videos uses a lot of Classical, and when I put together a short video of our last dive trip to Mexico, I asked my flute teacher for permission to use a track from her ensemble's CD.

Himalaya Bay, October 2009

Some issues to keep in mind: While many compositions, particularly classical or folk music, have been around long enough to be "public domain" on copyrights, the actual recordings are often still protected works. Some artists have no problem with people using them for applications such as this, as they basically consider it free advertising, but others are very protective and will have websites such as Youtube block the audio portion of the video. The more contemporary the composition and/or recording, the more likely you'll deal with copyright infringement issues.

Using the "Jaws" theme for shark footage is so overdone that it's annoying. I started watching one dive video on Youtube this weekend, and didn't make it even half-way through before I went and found another that didn't play the "doon-doont, doon-doont-doon-doont-doon-doont..."

Whatever music you use, IMNSHO it's simply good courtesy to the artists and the viewers to credit the song and performer. If you know a webpage for the artists, include that in the credits.

That is exactly what I was looking for Thanks

I use Freeplay Music: Search Production Music Library for copy write free music for facebook and such. It takes a lot of searching though to find what you like on sites like that. When I was doing a lot of "weekly" video I found that lyrics felt good when there were divers in the sequence but with just fish I preferred without. Sometimes I also find songs with lyrics that sort of fit a theme like this...of course it is copy written.
[vimeo]9488280[/vimeo]

The music should always fit the theme of the story you are editing. It creates and enhances the ambience and point of your video theme. Using the same piece of music throughout a 5 minute video is rarely a good choice. I founded the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival many years ago and have been the judge organizer for the international Wetpixel video competition for the last couple of years. Music and audio levels are frequently something that new editors do not take as seriously as they should and I have seen this occur far too many times. Audiences will often accept less than stellar video but will walk out on blown out and distorted audio. Never redline your audio, at the most it should be around -6dbs dropping to -12 or more when and where the narration comes in. While I have amassed a massive collection of royalty free music, I find that using Sonic Fire Pro is the easiest to use and the most intuitive to learn.
Hope this helps,
Steve

As you work with video you will begin to develop your own style. My suggestion would be to refrain from using copyrighted work and avoid potential problems later on. The background music is an integral part of my videos since the video is edited to the music. We have become attuned to expecting a new scene change every few seconds when watching television or a movie and so I utilize the downbeat of the music to cut to a new scene. This usually results in a change of scene every four to eight seconds. I always utilize either royalty free music or music that I have purchased the rights to use for my videos. A Google search for royalty free music will return almost 6,000,000 results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom