Underwater video music whine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Why is it that everyone who produces an underwater video feels obliged to use some obnoxious "theme song" in the background? Most of the time, these songs add nothing to the video. It is a rare bird who gets that right. Why not just do a voiceover explaining what we're seeing with light music behind that? Some of the videos seem to be a cross between an adventure movie and a massage room. Just saying...

You can't please everyone. People have different tastes, especially in music. Most people who post on this board are hobbyists doing everything themselves. We hope people like our videos and choice of music, but we edit and choose music for our own taste.

Why not just do a voiceover explaining what we're seeing ? Because it's difficult. Difficult to write the script, difficult to speak naturally, difficult to edit.

A bad voiceover is worse than bad music, I think.

I don't mind "theme songs" but I have a HUGE dislike of copyright-free music that consists of very little melody, repeated ad infinitum. On the other hand, properly chosen music tells you a lot about how the videographer viewed his dive.

Just turning down the volume goes a long way towards making the music what it should be: in the background.

A bad voiceover is worse than bad music, I think.

I have no idea. I have yet to hear any voiceovers. It's always some oddball music that says more about the diver than the dive. Most of the time, as soon as one of these starts, I'm clicking the mute button after about 5 secs. I do understand the difficulty of creating a voiceover - but IMHO if you're going to spend time with a video in post production, do a little more than adding awful music that makes a 30 foot swim through a reef sound like a scene from Star Wars...

Sorry...Couldn't resist :)

[vimeo]27341383[/vimeo]

I have no idea. I have yet to hear any voiceovers. It's always some oddball music that says more about the diver than the dive. Most of the time, as soon as one of these starts, I'm clicking the mute button after about 5 secs. I do understand the difficulty of creating a voiceover - but IMHO if you're going to spend time with a video in post production, do a little more than adding awful music that makes a 30 foot swim through a reef sound like a scene from Star Wars...

That's kind of harsh criticism in my book, but that's ok. Everyone has an opinion. Just remember, everyone has to start somewhere. Most are not born experts. Most of us have normal 9-5 jobs and do this as a hobby. It's a process of learning, putting our work out there to be judged and criticized.

It can be humiliating having your hard work torn to pieces by some random person typing on a keyboard. Constructive criticism can be a good thing. Please give a little respect to those brave enough to show their work and open themselves to public opinion.

Never heard a voiceover ?

Here ya go. A few videos with with my attempt at a voiceover. Hope you like it, but it you don't, I will sleep well and feel good at my attempt. Can't please everyone.

[vimeo]743383[/vimeo]
[vimeo]7228823[/vimeo]

Sorry...Couldn't resist :)

[vimeo]27341383[/vimeo]

I've done that dive - MANY times. I never heard that music on any of the dives! Great video!

That's kind of harsh criticism in my book, but that's ok. Everyone has an opinion. Just remember, everyone has to start somewhere. Most are not born experts. Most of us have normal 9-5 jobs and do this as a hobby. It's a process of learning, putting our work out there to be judged and criticized.

It can be humiliating having your hard work torn to pieces by some random person typing on a keyboard. Constructive criticism can be a good thing. Please give a little respect to those brave enough to show their work and open themselves to public opinion.

Never heard a voiceover ?

Here ya go. A few videos with with my attempt at a voiceover. Hope you like it, but it you don't, I will sleep well and feel good at my attempt. Can't please everyone.

Ha ha! Your videos are pretty much as good as it gets. the voiceovers are superb and use of other materials (maps etc) are great. You lose a point on the Roatan video because you made me miss that place so much. Fantastic job.

Ha ha! Your videos are pretty much as good as it gets. the voiceovers are superb and use of other materials (maps etc) are great. You lose a point on the Roatan video because you made me miss that place so much. Fantastic job.

Thanks. I've been doing this for a long time. A lot of trial and error, plenty of mistakes, constructive criticism is always welcome. Being fast on the computer helps with editing. Never stop learning and above all, have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom