Just a thought.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We keep talking about training and practice but both are not as available as they should be or we would like to be.

So yesterday, during our in-service training (LEO stuff) the old phrase “Practice Makes Perfect” came up again.

Then for lunch I wasn’t hungry so I went out to my car, pulled out my dive gear and re-packed it. That is no big deal because I do that every week or two when I don’t use it.

Then it hit me. I just “Practiced” pulling my gear out. I just “Practiced” inspecting it and I just “Practiced” re-packing it.

So why not make it a habit to every so often pull your gear out, look it over, do any necessary repairs, adjustments, cleaning and repack it.

Sounds like some surface “Practice” to me. The more you do it the more comfortable you get with it and the better the condition it will remain in.

Don’t forget to make checking your air pressure on a regular basis part of this “Practice”. There is nothing worse than to get suited up, especially at a Rescue scene and finding you don’t have enough air to do the job. At a Recovery it can be a major embarrassment but at a Rescue it could mean the victim has one more thing stacked against their chance for survival.

So lets all make a point to remember; “Practice Makes Perfect”. It’s easy, doesn’t take much time and keeps the gear and mind in good shape.

Mental conditioning on the surface is just as important as it is submerged. ;^)

Gary D.

Gary,

Excellent idea.

If you yoused it more offton you would not have to just put it back. I clean my gear and inspect it each time I youse it. I think that if I tuck it out just to look it over. I was thinking about it to much and note diving. But I need to dive more too.Looking at it and not using would depress me.s

Skeeter1097:
If you yoused it more offton you would not have to just put it back. I clean my gear and inspect it each time I youse it. I think that if I tuck it out just to look it over. I was thinking about it to much and note diving. But I need to dive more too.Looking at it and not using would depress me.s
Trust me, it gets its share of use. But being stored in a vehicle 24-7 makes it necessary to just take it out and inspect it once in a while. Actually a lot more than the average diver.

The more you handle your gear the better you get at it and the more familiar you are with it.

Gary D. ;^)

I have always been a believer in the adage "a place for every thing, and every thing in it's place".

I pack each bag for each sport in it's own unique way each time, so that I can always find things, and so that I can tell if something is missing. I have ended up buying multiples of many things so that each bag can be self contained. Of course I am talking about Whitewater Rafting, Waterskiing, Snow Skiing, Backpacking, Indoor Hockey, Outdoor Hockey etc.

For diving, I have one big bag, plus some cases, plus a big Rubbermaid Bin. I can't afford too many more duplicates. (a second hockey helmet was a LOT cheaper than an extra Regulator set up) I end up removing whatever is not appropriate for each trip, and adding whatever extra is called for.

Your suggestion to go through the gear on a more regular basis is a good idea. I rarely dive during Ski Racing Season, so everything sits. Going through the bag and the Rubbermaid bin would be a good way to keep myself familiar with where everything is, to verify conditions, and to remind me of what I am missing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Now Gary, try to see what you can do about Skeeter's suggestion that you get out there and dive more. You are clearly spending waaay too much time simply fondling your gear, and not enough time getting it wet! ** laughing hard **

Wristshot

Back
Top Bottom