PSD and your resume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im trying to become a firefighter, but im still in school, and i know that i have a long way to go. the oakland fire department had over 10,000 applicants, so right now im at the bottom of the list. Will being PSD help be get a job as a firefighter?

I doubt it. Concentrate on being a fireman first then think about PSD. The fire training is going to be enough on it’s own.

PSD training is hard to get if you’re not EMS already.

Gary D.

Jorbar1551:
Im trying to become a firefighter, but im still in school, and i know that i have a long way to go. the oakland fire department had over 10,000 applicants, so right now im at the bottom of the list. Will being PSD help be get a job as a firefighter?

ha ha ha ha ha.... 10,000 aplicants and your at the bottom of the list...sounds like you will be working at the scuba shop for quite a long time...If this is the Oakland FD i ma thinking about they have a very good department and Gerry Simon runs a tight ship and really knows what he is doing. I'll place a call to Mike Lewis and make sure your brought up to the top of the list. :crafty:

With 99% of fire departments, being selected has pretty much nothing to do with your firefighting and EMS experience.

They did not care one whit that I was a paramedic, or how many years I had worked on an ambulance and in the ER.

I was hired because I scored well on a cheezy civil service exam and a physical agility test. I saw many colleagues that I respected not get hired, because they did not "test well".

Also, as a FYI...if you do get hired, do NOT mention your PSD background. Just keep your mouth shut for the first two years...these are the years that make you or break you in the department. Humble and intelligent now will pay huge dividends at 10 years.

Good luck! My best advice is to take a class on "test taking".

All the best, James

Good Advice from FDOG. But keep up with your dive training. Some PSD certs can expire and some agencies only take certain agency training. Just keep diving.

Back
Top Bottom