Rope signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Which rope and hand signals do you use for your teathered diving? Do you use the more complicated and in depth life gaurd system signals or do you use the bare bones 4 tugs at most erdi signals? I can see the benifet from both but i am curious as to what other teams use.

DRI system which equals KISS. IF we need more for some reason we can decide that at the time we might need them. Get to many going and the margin for error increases.

Gary D.

We use the DRI signals. I agree....if you start dealing with too many tugs, there's more chance for confusion and/or miscommunication.

Gerry

What are the DRI signals that = KISS?
Are they the same as OATH, which is used in confined space rescues?

zinmaker:
What are the DRI signals that = KISS?
Are they the same as OATH, which is used in confined space rescues?
OATHS has 5 each way where DRI is 4 each way. We just switched from OATHS to DRI so we can work with surrounding teams easier.

One thing to remember is that the line signals are to get your point across to the person on the other end, not hold a long winded conversation.

Tender to diver:
1 tug — Are you OK?
2 tugs — Make your turn.
3 tugs — Surface.
4 tugs — Danger, hug bottom.

• From the diver to the tender:
1 tug — I’m OK.
2 tugs — Turn complete.
3 tugs — Victim located.
4 (or more) tugs — Help, send standby diver.

Gary D.

Along the same subject, how many of you are using communication gear? I know DRI is a big proponent of hardwired communication.

Here we go again...

We use LGS signals. We used to use DRI but they are inefficient IMO. If you do need a more complex comm system it should be one that is well practiced and known by everyone. Flip through any fire magizine that has critiques of incidents. A common theme is inadequate comms for alot of them - one reason why communications is a corner stone of an ICS (or similiar) system. Simple is good if the op remains simple but when its not, something that works in ALL situations should be well rehearsed and practiced.
Here's just a few reasons why we like the LGS system

The DRI signals are based on recreational scuba signals while the LGS ones are based on navy/commercial diving. PSD has more ressembalance to commercial than the recreational diving IMO (whole other topic why).

There are many reasons why a diver may need help. Anything from a lost fin to an OOA. If there's only one way to get help an entangled but "OK" diver may be reluctant to call for the help and get himself into a larger mess. A measured response is a good idea - same reason why we respond police/fire/ems units to their calls at a different levels. A "hot" response all the time isn't really a good idea.

The "change of direction" can be disorienting for the diver, the tender looses alot of control and the patterns are less precise. Stopping the diver is a common need by both the diver and the tender. The diver could easily forget which way he was going - not a huge deal to turn him if he goes the wrong way unless you know there's a hazard that he might head into.

There's no way to "reset" or get the line tightened up to correctly do the pattern if slack develops.

A "notation" signal seems to be used on almost every dive we do. Very practical to ensure an area is clear if more investigation of certain spots is warranted.

Alot of people say that the LGS system is too complex without ever trying it or understanding it for a few dives. If you only use it a few times a year I agree, you'll forget (some guys will forget the other too). I haven't seen any of our guys foul it up if they've been practicing regularly as is required.

Let the games begin...

renpirate:
Along the same subject, how many of you are using communication gear? I know DRI is a big proponent of hardwired communication.

I'm putting together the hardwire for our team as we speak. Training comms (and probably ops through habit) will always be done with rope signals as there is our redundancy in case the comms go down

That makes perfect sense. I am in the process of trying to get hardwire com for my team. I think it is a really invaluable tool.

As one of the owners of Dive Rescue International, (DRI) I would like to "clear the air" on how the Public Safety Diver line signals were developed.

When Dive Rescue International was formed (1977), many of the recreational dive programs were teaching the U. S. Navy line signals because those were the only ones around. The founders of DRI felt the line signals at the time were grossly inadequate for SCUBA use since the original purpose of these signals was for surface supplied air diving. Because both law enforcement officers and firefighters were consulted when the DRI program was developed, the DRI founders discovered that the OATH (okay, advance, take in slack, help) system had application, with minor modification.

To download a graphic and Public Safety Dvier line signal description, please visit: http://www.iadrs.org/images/IADRSO~1.PDF

I have reviewed my personal library in determining the use of line signals in recreational during the early years.

1955 The How-To book of Skin Diving, pages pages 111-114, USN signals
1962 The New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving, page 186-187, USN signals
1967, Aqua Lung / U. S. Divers Lesson Plan for Skin & Scuba Diving, Hand signals only
1968 The Skin Divers Bible, page 107, USN signals
1970 The New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving, page 204-205, USN signals
1977 PADI Standard Diving Signals, Pages A7 - A10, Hand signals only
1989 Jeppesen Open Water Sport Diver Manual, page 2-10 and 2-11, Hand signals only
1991 PADI Rescue Diver Manual, Line signals not discussed, Compass Use Only, Pg 129
1993 PADI Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, Line signals not discussed

The MYTH that Dive Rescue International uses signals developed by the recreational diving community has been perpetuated by a competitor and has no basis in fact.

Today, there are at least five agencies (listed below) offering PSD training.
  • LGS uses US Navy signals (AKA the "recreational" dive signals from 1955-1970) :D
  • PSDA uses both USN and the DRI signals
  • ERDI uses the DRI signals
  • IANTD uses the DRI signals
  • DRI uses the DRI signals

Another words, four out of five agencies providing PSD training in North America use standardized PSD line signals. It is unfortunate that a person who posted to this forum finds the DRI signals "inefficient" when most PSD teams in North America use these signals very effectively. (I have to wonder if he was using the signals correctly)

I will agree with the poster though. Line signals should be practiced and known by everyone on the team. I also believe it is easier to learn fewer signals as opposed to more. Fortunately, my opinion is also supported by three out of four competitors and a huge majority of public safety divers in North America.

Respectfully,

Blades Robinson, Director
Dive Rescue International (DRI)
www.DiveRescueIntl.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom