Opinions on an incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just returned from a call of a vehichle upside down in 8ft of water in our river this evening. No one was sure if there was a body inside or not. The car was found by some bystanders (not sure on the details). The call was actually in the next fire departments district, but our chief is their assisstant chief, so he asked me to bring my gear and check it out.

I get there and their are some bystanders with mask, snorkels and fins diving on it and the tow truck is there. There is also a fireman from the other department in a drysuit, helmet and pfd, who was originally going to secure a chain to the vehicle. He had already tried and failed, losing his light in the process. However, the shining light did a nice job of marking the location. It was then my understanding that, since I had my gear, am a trained PSD, that I would check out the vehicle and hook it up instead.

So after surveying the scene and letting my chief know that I was going to suit up, I returned to my vehicle and geared up. When I returned in less than 5 minutes, the other firefighter had already gone out and hooked up the vehicle, free diving, with no mask. However, he was successful in hooking it up and they were able to bring the vehicle in.

They then asked me to go out and recover the light. I politely told them to go get it themselves. That was probably not very professional of me, but I was a bit upset.

What do you all think of the situation?

Why couldn't they have gotten the light when they were down?
K

Good question, I guess he was having a hard time getting down with that pfd on.

renpirate:
What do you all think of the situation?

That is a common problem we have in our jurisdiction. We remind them that if it is not a rescue, it's not theirs and they could be destroying evidence of a crime scene. I also go as far as tell a chief officer that I really don't want to have to do a recovery of one of their personnel. That usually gets the point across. We also, as a recovery team, train as often as we can with the various fire agencies in our area so they get a better understanding of our capibilities and limitations. They also get to see first hand the need for specific gear and training that goes into being a public safety diver.

Then again, I'm on a Law Enforcement team and am not saying we are better than our fire department brotheren, just do a different job.

Paul

Yotsie:
That is a common problem we have in our jurisdiction. We remind them that if it is not a rescue, it's not theirs and they could be destroying evidence of a crime scene. I also go as far as tell a chief officer that I really don't want to have to do a recovery of one of their personnel. That usually gets the point across. We also, as a recovery team, train as often as we can with the various fire agencies in our area so they get a better understanding of our capibilities and limitations. They also get to see first hand the need for specific gear and training that goes into being a public safety diver.

Then again, I'm on a Law Enforcement team and am not saying we are better than our fire department brotheren, just do a different job.

Paul
What he said.

The time frame is unknown and expected to have been a while. That makes it a recovery. Take your time and eliminate as much of the risk involved as possible.

Were you the only diver on scene?

Gary D.

Yes, I was the only diver on the scene. Which of course is a whole other issue and an important one. I have been working on developing a team, which the firefighter in question is going to be on as well as the chief and the Captain who was present. Our first training session is scheduled for Monday.

This situation would not have been particularly dangerous, but as I did point out to them, it could have been a crime scene. By taking our time I could have done a more detailed search of the area and vehicle.

I'd support your decision on this. Its both disrespectful to your knowlege and training and to your time that was asked of you to give for this incident. Sounds like the FF had 'hero' syndrome and was unwilling to let other qualified personnel do their job.

Thanks Cbulla, I appreciate your support.

Yotsie, as part of setting up this team I have been collaborating very closely with our SO, who have been very supportive. I fully understand the concerns of Law Enforcement, which is why I emphasize the training. We are all about public safety. I really appreciate the fact that you guys are the ones that usally have to do the unglamorous and thankless jobs.

renpirate:
Yotsie, as part of setting up this team I have been collaborating very closely with our SO, who have been very supportive. I fully understand the concerns of Law Enforcement, which is why I emphasize the training. We are all about public safety. I really appreciate the fact that you guys are the ones that usally have to do the unglamorous and thankless jobs.

Sonoma Co S/O??? First class team! Can't go wrong training with those guys. Cooperation between agencies is very important. Building a relationship early is a good move, on both sides!

They are a great team and I am looking forward to training with them. Sgt. Gieslin and I have spent a lot of time discussing operational issues. They have had a lot of reritements this year though, so they have a lot of new people.

Back
Top Bottom