Dive Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JEScholz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Our VFD dive team is looking to sell our walk in van and replace it with a dive trailer. Any floor plans of current trailers would be appreciated, with the pros and cons of what you would do differently if you had a second chance.

... OK... I've put a few pics of our trailer in the gallery too. Anyway, if you've got specific questions I'd be happy to help if I can.

... I still say keep the van... :wink:

Really bridge? we have always had our equipment in a trailer, but our high angle gear was in a retired ambulance. We had constant problems because somebody had to run to get it (same prob with a trailer though) but then it wouldnt start, need fuel, or the keys werent left in the lock box, or some other stupid thing that took valuble time... that gear is in a trailer now. what is the benefit of a van? I am not tryin to start an arguement, just curious how you think on this one.
Clay

I'd say a trailer is far and above having the gear in an assigned vehicle. With the vehicle you have all the maintainance that goes along with such. With a trailer there is very little and I'd almost claim this makes it more mobile/ready to go. If you have another vehicle you can always tow it, and maintaining it is easier also...

I can't find your pictures, could someone help?

Hi Clay
All the same problems you have with a van is the same problems with a tow vehicle (fuel, keys, maintenance etc) except now you have the added risk of someone TAKING the tow vehicle for another reason -- then you get screwed. If everything is contained in its own vehicle they are less inclined to take it.

Our trailer can only be towed by 2 of our trucks safely (electric brakes, weight) and both have other roles so there is always a possibility that theres nothing to tow it with despite my rantings to management. There is also the few minutes it takes to hook up that would be unecessary if everything was in its own dedicated vehicle.

Its also VERY easy to overload a trailer. Ours is completely maxed out and we couldn't put everything into it that we wanted ie - a good heater, insulation, awning, compressor have all been excluded due to weight. These things could easily be accomplished on a truck of similiar (even smaller) size to our trailer

Don't get me wrong, a trailer's better than nothing but if you're already using a van/truck I'd push to get it rebuilt or replaced. A trailer is a step backwards from a van IMO

PCB - check under the profile box of the poster, there is a "veiw gallery" icon you can click under the stats box

frame containers, shelving, work tables, etc out of aluiminum. If the trailer has wood sides already, epoxy paint it white, brighter with less light, wont absorb the water. Non skid epoxy on floor also white, easy to find little things like O-rings etc.

Plastic-fiberglass top gives light, dont know if there is much weight difference in roof construction. but being able to see in a hurry gotta be useful for emergency dive teams.

Trailer, van, truck, ambulance or car, it all boils down to personal preference and what fits the needs of your team.

If you’re a Recovery Team it really doesn’t matter what you use. It’s going to me a mobile container to contain gear and equipment that will go down the road like everyone else. If there’s room having a nice warm/cool area to undress and relax and hide in is also nice.

There are problems with any means of transportation. Vehicles that don’t get used all the time don’t like to start or when they do they don’t like to stay running. Trailers are nice but where is the tow vehicle which is subject to the problems above?

Now here is where things get a bit more complicated. If you are in actuality a Rescue/Recovery Team time is paramount. In a rescue there isn’t the luxury of the extra time for someone to respond somewhere to get a vehicle or hook up an equipment trailer. If a boat is needed, that means that you now need at least two people to respond for two or more vehicles/trailers.

I’ll use us for example. A very large majority of our calls involve a roadway so a boat or back up equipment trailer is a piece of equipment that can respond a bit later. Chances are we have a boat on the water already and we have Marine Deputies so we normally aren’t depleting the diver pool for it. The divers respond to the scene, get suited and concentrate on the dive at hand. Fire/Med will normally beat a boat and be setting up shortly after the divers are ready. They also bring along a nice Cascade System or a compressor trailer so we have zero air worries. We also don’t take a diver from the pool to operate the air systems or assist anyone.

In a recovery you have time to get gear together, respond to a Command Post to get briefed and set in place a dive plan. In a rescue the victim just doesn’t have a spare minute. Taking a minute here and a minute there can add up to a lot of wasted minutes turning a rescue into a recovery.

I am a firm believer that if you’re going to be a RESCUE Team you need your gear with you any time you are available to respond to a call. It needs to be in a vehicle capable of running code which means some sort of government vehicle.

Even though someone is authorized to respond in a private vehicle, which a lot of volunteer firemen do, who is going to hang if they get into an accident responding to an emergency call? Your insurance company may just tell you to go take a flying leap.

There are a lot of issues with any kind of Dive Team but one of the most dangerous things we do is respond to the call. So sit back and evaluate what you really need to do the job as safely as possible.

We are fortunate as we have about anything we need including what might be called a mobile hotel from Disaster Services. But one of the best advancements the team ever made was go to having our gear in our patrol cars, trucks or SUV’s 24-7-365. Before that we were called a Rescue Team but in reality we were a Recovery Team.

Gary D.

Betail, If you are interested in Ice recovery's, like I see in your info picture or other rescue efforts, call WODDY'S TOWING.

Ask for Billy, He will tell you What you need in your trailer, for recue or recovery.

Jim, Billy can give you usefull info on speed, Having the right recovery gear is key,But knowing all the tricks is what helps.

once you become freinds you can call him for advice while on sceen, If a plane or something big he would even show up, And you would be amazed when he shows up with his equipment on how fast he is at recovery.

Woody's is only a couple hours from you on us 23 call him you wont be dissapointed.

810-629 -6851 Just tell him this Idiot diver from washington told you about him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom