Public Safety Dive Trailer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Our newly formed Public Safety Dive Team was given a 20 ft enclosed trialer to haul equipment. We have alot of work ahead of us and we are ready for the challange. We were curious to know if anyone on the public safety side had any suggestions or photos of the inside of their trailers. We would like to set it up in the most efficient way possible. The trailer is made by United Trailers, has a drop down rear, side door, and wooden floors. It is in very good condition, but a few repairs are needed.
Suggestions and Photos would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
Alexandria Water Operations Team

20' isn't as big as it looks when the gear starts going in. Take your time designing it and try not to duplicate resources.

Gary D.

We used to suit up while enroute to the emergency at times, so don't forget to have seats, with lots of hand rails, because suiting up is tough even in good conditions, add roaring through traffic code three, and your all over the place if you don't have something to hold on to. Ours was a used bread delivery truck I think. Nice and wide.

A while back, I posted some pics of ours. It's only 14', so we had to make the best of the limited space. Check out my pics if you want to see...

Chris

We used to suit up while enroute to the emergency at times, so don't forget to have seats, with lots of hand rails, because suiting up is tough even in good conditions, add roaring through traffic code three, and your all over the place if you don't have something to hold on to. Ours was a used bread delivery truck I think. Nice and wide.

Probably not something to consider in a trailer though, right?

Bridge linked to the previous post but I figured I would repost my info and say good luck. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

I posted some older pictures of our dive trailer in my gallery. The trailer layout is the same but much of the dive gear has been updated. All of our BCD's are now Halcyon. The trailer is a 27' enclosed Haulmark Trailer that was customized by our local trailer company an our department.

Some of the custom features are as follows:

1. Black Rhino Liner sprayed over the plywood decking for water, skid and other protection. It has worked very well and is easy to clean up.
2. Custom cabinetry and bench for gear storage.
3. Electrical system including generator connection, scene lighting on sides and rear, electrical outlets and my favorite, two (2) 1500 watt heaters. We usually just set them on 750 watts each and the trailer almost gets too warm. We carry a small portable 5kw generator but usually connect it to a fire truck with a PTO generator. We carry several adapters so we can plug into anywhere. We also have 110 v flourescent lights and a 12 light system if we do not have 110 power. The trailer has a 12 volt battery with a shore power charger. The battery can also be charged off the tow vehicle.
Our department built the small ventilated room to house the generator and gas which is isolated from the main gear compartment so the fumes will not attack the rubber. We also bult the shelves for our other water rescue gear. All our ice rescue gear, life jackets, ropes, etc are stored here.

Our primary tow vehicle is our 2003 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy Suburban however several members with large trucks are also approve to tow this trailer if need be.

We have a load leveling hitch to assist with towing.

We also had custom graphics put on the trailer.

Everything except for the gear stored in the trailer was purchased through a fund raiser.

The trailer is a great resourse which our department shares with the entire county. We use it on all calls and drills for all divers to dress and undress out of the elements.

The only down side has been given the size of the trailer finding people who are capable of towing this trailer can be an issue. So far we have not had a problem getting our trailer to respond. Having our gear stored this way has greatly improved our response time and the time it has taken get dressed once on scene.

Hope this helps.

Mark D.

I appreciate all of the advice. You guys are great! We have a lot of local support and trying to raise enough money to fund the project. All of the fixes to the trailer come out of our pockets just like our equipment has so far. We are making it work one way or another.

Thanks,
Chris S.

Back
Top Bottom