Rescue Diver Jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue368

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm looking to get into PSD/UCI (Underwater Criminal Investigator) I am a EMT/Firefighter, Rope and SwiftWater Rescue Tech. Any thoughts on what type of jobs. I can find once this training is done. How to I go about marketing myself for jobs. Is this something I could make a living at.

Happy and safe Diving

David

Job’s? I just retired from my full time position on one of the higher paid teams. It’s an all in-house LEO team with a token Fireman :wink: and I got $0.50 an hour or $80.00 a month extra pay. On top of my real job hourly rate the department also paid for our training and gear on top of that as well.

PSD in almost all cases is a secondary part of another occupation that is focused on Law Enforcement, Fire and/or some type of Emergency Service. If you fall outside of that category you may be paying to be a part of the team. Your training, per their standards, gear, transportation, time and any other expense will be out of your pocket. Finding a paying job in the PSD world as a PSD is like finding a Unicorn.

But good luck. There might be one out there.

Hello,

I'm looking to get into PSD/UCI (Underwater Criminal Investigator) I am a EMT/Firefighter, Rope and SwiftWater Rescue Tech. Any thoughts on what type of jobs. I can find once this training is done. How to I go about marketing myself for jobs. Is this something I could make a living at.

Happy and safe Diving

David

Most PSD's are part of another job, the many I have met in the Mid-South are law enforcement dive teams. I doubt you could make a living from just being a PSD. Most of the teams around here are volunteer, our pay = the fact of knowing we did our job to the best of our abilities.
Good Luck to you,

Lt. Matthew Wilson
Dive Team Leader
Fayette County T.R.T.T
TechnicalRescueTeam.com

Most of my friends and contacts that do PSD full time work for Port Police Departments, or Miami Dade County Florida. Its a rare position and most of the time PSD is a add on to our normal patrol duties

Last edited:
Hello,

Happy and safe Diving

David

A couple of things I would like to add are that first off your training is NEVER done. Once you get out of a class the training starts. With over 50 years in this business I'm still training and will continue to do so. Once you think it's done pick out a coffin. We aren't saying there are no paying PSD jobs out there. What we are saying is to find a stand alone paying PSD job is like finding a walking trail to the moon.

Good luck

[h=3]It is always best to have the PSD job as your additional job since pay is not that high and stable. If you really want to pursue a full time PSD job then you can check for related diving jobs in the internet.[/h]

Job’s? I just retired from my full time position on one of the higher paid teams. It’s an all in-house LEO team with a token Fireman :wink: and I got $0.50 an hour or $80.00 a month extra pay. On top of my real job hourly rate the department also paid for our training and gear on top of that as well. [/QUOTE]

Muahahahaha. We get a whopping $5/hour extra for our dives during duty hours. And if we're called in...OVERTIME! +$5/hour.

WOW!!! That’s enough to support a family of none living in cardboard boxes and dumpster diving for dinner. Hehehe Hey, at least it’s something.

I made (before retirement) and the rest of the team makes good money diving because of the overtime on off duty callouts but the $80.00 came every month if we dove or not. Plus having the department pay for all the gear and training is a major plus.

For over 20 years we did it for free before the department decided to change the policy and pay us over and above our overtime. Once the pay showed up every Tom, Dick and Harry put in for the team including a non-swimmer. What, like 50 cents an hour makes you a swimmer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom