Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomfcrist
  • 1 Post By Kevrumbo

Thread: Going for NAUI Rescue Diver soon.

Registered

Getting Certified as a PSD,
    Rescue Diver, EMT-P.

Dives
    I just don't log dives

Going for NAUI Rescue Diver soon.

My EMT-B Class is ending in a couple weeks and once Certified, I am looking to take the NAUI course with a local dive shop.

I want to just have this as a "add-on" to my EMT training/certs. Is there anything else anyone would/could recommend that I take as well?

I will be taking a CHT certification program as well so I will have Hyperbaric training too.

I am looking to become a Certified Commercial Diver (Unrestricted Surface Supplied Air/Mixed Gasses). Any extra side courses are just extra padding for a resume so I can work for a company for a while before breaking away to run my personal company full-time.

Thanks for any assistance, comments and or suggestions!
    -------------------------
    - Junior Public Safety Diver - Pennsylvania Water Rescue, Station 72
    - Certified EMT - PA Dept. of Health
    - Next in line is EMT-P, EDAM, Dive Medic, NAUI Rescue Diver & Commercial Diver.

Scott T. C.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    For the path that you are following, you really dont even need rescue. During Comm dive training and operations, rescueing a diver is far different than doing it while diving recreationally.

However, Rescue is still a good course, as it will give you the tools and techniques that you may not already have to act as a first responder during recreational diving operations. You already have the EMT skills, so basically its going to be a course on managemen t of mishaps and emergencies while in the water.

Have fun diving, hope you get as far as your ambitions can take you.
    Scott T C likes this.
    A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~Louis A. Berman

Registered

Rescue Diver, EMT-P.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Sounds good.

Yea, I know it isn't truly needed for Com Diving, but I figured it couldn't hurt having the training as you mentioned above. It will be a nice skill set to have as apart of my EMT training.

Thanks for the imput.
    - Next in line is EMT-P, EDAM, Dive Medic, NAUI Rescue Diver & Commercial Diver.

Scott T. C.

Registered

SoCal Diving the best!

South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA, Planet Earth, a blue world 71% water & third planet from a G2 yellow dwarf star, in the Milky Way Galaxy two thirds of the way out from the center on the inner edge of the Orion–Cygnus arm.
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Come out here to Southern California instead, and take the class at the USC/Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber:

USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber
    USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber Educational Programs

Much more comprehensive, and you'll also coordinate/integrate drills & practice with the LA County EMS (Baywatch Paramedics/Lifeguards) on Catalina Island. . .
    Scott T C likes this.
    "One way of looking at this might be that for 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience, education and training. And on January 15 [2009] the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal." Capt. Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III, US Airways Flight 1549 ("Miracle on the Hudson").

"Chance favors the prepared mind" --Louis Pasteur

Registered

Rescue Diver, EMT-P.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Those courses look really intriguing! I will ddefinitely look into those as if I can tack on the IV/Intubation training ontop of my soon to be licensed EMT certification to carry the DMT cert as well that would be awesome!

The other program, the EDAM looks like a great learning opportunity that I could definitely benefit from! It would greatly improve not only my marketability when looking for a job for the first few years, but when I fully branch off to run my personal dive company full time.

Thank you for the posting as I will definitely look into this!

---------- Post added May 3rd, 2012 at 08:10 AM ----------

Kevrumbo, I talked with one of our Paramedic Instructors at our EMT course last night and he said that Catalina is a really good (world wide recognition) school to attend. He stated that he always wanted to do Dive Medicine, but never had the time to do it.

I need to find a local class that teaches A-EMT so I can get the IV/Intubation skill-sets needed to take the EDAM and then qualify for Dive Medic Certification. I was informed the earliest class locally won't be till this Fall, if that is the case that will push things back a bit more. Although, I should be able to get everything in line for next spring/summer to have all my Med Certs completed and have EMT/AEMT/Dive Medic with some HC experience. Then I can take my CHT Certification Course....so all looks good.

Scott T. C.

TC
    Miscreant Moderator

has an alibi.

Photos
    Blog Entries
    We run a weekend course at Catalina a couple of times a year for the invasive skills so EMT's can pick up the skills needed for DMT.

They just had one so it'll probably be a few months before the next one.
    Tom

Registered

Rescue Diver, EMT-P.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Awesome! Thanks TC! I will look into that!

Scott T. C.