Gun Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sitkadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if you folks can provide some input as to what your department's policy is for clearing a firearm underwater?

Right now, we don't have a solid policy. If the diver can see and/or feels comfortable doing the clearing, then they clear the weapon. If not, the weapon is placed into a PVC tube, which is capped at either end and then brought to the surface to be cleared and secured.

Well it depends on a number of things. I have never dealt with such an issue but one thing I can tell you is if its evidence then unless its 100 percent crucial then we simply bring it up as is and dont try to clear it. Every little detail has to be logged about the weapon including which bullet was in the chamber and detailed as such. Though its unlikely any fingerprints remain on the bullets they still have to go through the same process to either obtain evidence or at least demonstrate that it was attempted properly.

Depending on how long a weapon is underwater could lead to stability problems too. Such as if a firearm is found years after it was dumped in a body of water attempting to disarm it could actually cause it to go off. Best left to be done in a controlled environment such as a lab where they are able to put inside of a device and mechanically disarm it if this is a feasable option for that scenario.

Place it in the tube, seal it and handle it as an unstable loaded weapon. Make sure the weapon can't change direction in the tube and make sure everyone knows which end is the muzzle end. Trying to unload it underwater may be the last thing you do.

Agree, don't mess with it underwater. Put it in a container and keep it sealed and submerged until it is ready to be processed.

Just too many things that can go wrong trying to manipulate it underwater. .

Thank You everyone for the input. I'll pass this on to the Dive Capt..

Your comments are pretty much in line with our current practices, but we'll be making some minor changes to the OPM.

And I should have mentioned K. Ellis, that the vast majority of our firearm recoveries are evidence.

Dive Safe.

And I should have mentioned K. Ellis, that the vast majority of our firearm recoveries are evidence.

Dive Safe.

That's why the majority of firearms go swimming. It wasn't because Grandma was washing the dust off and dropped it.:wink: Well maybe she was trying to wash the prints off along with the dust. Ya just can't trust Grandma anymore.:D

That's why the majority of firearms go swimming. It wasn't because Grandma was washing the dust off and dropped it.:wink: Well maybe she was trying to wash the prints off along with the dust. Ya just can't trust Grandma anymore.:D

Oddly enough I have not seen Grandpa in a while. I wonder if she was just oiling it for him and thats why we see her with the rag rubbing it down.

Just out of interest, will your lab take a loaded firearm? The two I have used will not so its going to get unloaded some where in the EV chain before forensics testing. The best place in the chain is kinda up to us.

seal it in tube. We paint the muzzle end of the tubes when we make them. Red is dead (muzzle end) for ease of knowing which way is muzzle for surface handling and transport.

Just out of interest, will your lab take a loaded firearm? The two I have used will not so its going to get unloaded some where in the EV chain before forensics testing. The best place in the chain is kinda up to us.

Our crime lab is located in Anchorage, which means we have to ship all firearms to them and they must be unloaded. In fact, the firearm needs to be secured before it can be deposited into our evidence vault.

The question came up during a dive drill and was more concerned about diver safety in the water - All firearms are handed over to Police Officers on scene once a recovery is made.

Our chain of custody is documented by photographic evidence of the scene underwater and on the surface and then by havnig the Police Office photograph the removal of the firearm from the tube(We made PVC tubes for both long guns and hand guns.)

I like the painted end idea also, we will do that.

Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom