Field expedient corrective lens for OTS Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

I thought I would pass on the following tip for public safety divers who use corrective lens whether they be near, far, or bifocal.

While waiting for the OTS lens adapters, I discovered a temporary alternative while the permanent solution is being implemented.

The alternative is the use of a replaceable corrective scuba mask lens. There are a number of different shapes however, I used the "universal" shaped corrective lens that fit in the TUSA liberator and its equivalent. Unlike normal non-scuba mask lenses, the external surface of these lens are flat, so they can be temporarily affixed to the inside of the Guardian mask.

You temporarily affix the lenses by putting a narrow strip of double sided foam tape on the outer perimeter of the lens. Some movement of the lens is possible, so you may want to mark your pupil positions on both the outside of the Guardian mask and the inside of the corrective lens. You can then press fit the lens into place. Make sure that both the inside of the mask and the outside of the lens are clean, because it will be incovenient removing the lens just to clean them.

Of course, once your permanent solution such as the lens adapter arrives with corrective lens, that is a more robust solution. In the meantime, this may be the solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom