Publix Safety Divers That Never Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, My wife has worked for Publix for quite some time. I didn't know they had safety divers. Where do I apply for that job? :) :p

Arrange to have them go somewhere were the water is warm and clear and the chance of finding dead bodies or having to hook up to a submerged car is very small?

We do an annual trip to Florida each year. We typically stay in Panama City Beach, FL and dive Vortex Springs, Morrison Springs, and then a couple of ocean dives. This gives the divers a chance to get out of the normal training environment and get some nice dives in warmer water. Team funds part of the trip so that costs stay low for the divers. Lots of fun and have a great turnout.

Who will hold the rope?

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

a couple of things that I've had work well include:
- a couple of "required" team building dives. these are just fun dives not PSD oriented. it's just about diving.
- get the team for 4 days of diving in the Keys. Of course, that takes some budget!
- send team members for advanced PSD training that includes some fun dive days outside of training days
- get a scuba equipment vendor to sponsor a fun dive day for the team
- require team members to log X dives per year. Just make X something higher than the number of likely PSD dive calls

As a team leader for 3 of the 7 Public Safety teams that I dive for (here in North Carolina), and being a shop owner, coercing Public Safety Divers is not so simple. The problem is most if not all are volunteers and they don't want to spend money. Being "TIGHT," as some would say, (and I being a Public Servant can understand why people say this), is something that has plagued the Public Service for a long time. Volunteer agencies, where divers supply all there own gear, and training, are usually on limited incomes and typically won't spend the money to go on a trip somewhere. Another reason (speaking for volunteer agencies and members) is that the individual members feel they don't need to go diving and they rely on the equipment instead of skills and knowledge. It is no different with Law Enforcement Agencies who allow officers to qualify each year standing in one place shooting at paper targets, instead of shooting on the move and looking for cover, or practicing shooting from a seated position in a vehicle. We react the way we are trained. Thankfully the 2 Law Enforcement Agencies that I worked for, required more qualification than the minimum required by the state. Even in the Fire Service and EMS field, when I train new EMT's we don't just spend time in the classroom, we take them on calls with us, and have them do live scenarios, with real patients. The only way I can see members of a Public Safety Team going on dives non related is to reduce the cost of the trip or dive to nothing. With volunteers, I have noticed that 60% of the ones I have trained in the last year, never go beyond Open Water, primarily because they would have to pay out of their pockets for the training. The Departments pay to get them certified, but refuse to pay for any continuing education. It should be the other way around. Have the members who want to be on a team, pay for the Open Water, and then based off assessments of each member, have the Departments pay for the continuing education. Other than providing trips, equipment, training, and etc. at cost you really have to bring your A-game when Marketing to the Public Safety Market. We currently have a written contract with one of our local Departments that we assist with, in recoveries simply because the members of that Department are not trained sufficiently enough to do the job nor do they have the appropriate equipment. And instead of paying the money to get the divers up to speed, they hire us third party (LAKE HICKORY PUBLIC SAFETY DIVE TEAM, operated under Lake Hickory Scuba & Marina, and all of our members are Public Servants, Under Water Criminal Investigators, Public Safety Divers, and Dive Instructors), for all their diving needs. Over time, departments realize the initial cost to train and equipped their divers is cheap compared to paying a third party team to do the work.

Now with that rant over, my current Fire Department that I work for, has a Haunted Trail Fund Raiser every year and the proceeds go to the Fire Personnel not to the Department. Those funds can be used for anything from work out equipment, to recreational equipment to what ever the members want. This is usually around $6000 to $10,000 a year. Maybe the same logic could be used for Public Safety Dive teams. Have a fund raiser and use the proceeds to go on trips. That way the members would not be paying out of pocket for the trip. Of course there is still the option of making it mandatory, however, anyone else in the volunteer world knows mandatory does not mean a lot. I use to say all the time, if you got rid of volunteer fireman who did not get all the required training in that was required for that year, you would not have a department. I would definitely check into the fund raiser idea and see if that would work.

Last night at hockey one of the guys was trying to talk up his upcoming ice dive trip.

He is Canadian military and his group travels to Thetford mines in the la belle province every winter for ice dives as part of their mandatory training.

His first story was about a local who drove up and asked to dive with the military team and was told no. Hours later they found the local's truck empty near a hole in the ice. Body recover ensued. Solo ice diving is not a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom