Does NASDS Still Exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruzilla

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got certified with NASDS back in the late 1970s at Skipper's Dive Shop in Pensacola while attending Naval Aircrewman School. My card has survived pretty well through the years, but it has finally gotten to the point where it is more scotch tape than plastic. I went online to see if I could get a replacement, and I found NASDS but it doesn't look like the same NASDS anymore. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement card through the current NASDS or did some other agency pick them up? Thanks!

I also was certified by NASDS in 1976 and my very cool card turned to dust. (too bad as it had a microfiche embedded in it with my medical history).

I contacted SSI and received an SSI card (and SSI number) for $25. Not only did NASDS merge with SSI - but there was a fire that destroyed much of the NASDS archive.

Note: You will probably want to go through a local dive shop to get this done. If I remember correctly SSI will process the card- but charges around $50. The local dive shop I went through in Northern Kentucky handled the transaction for me for $25.

I was certified NASDS in 74/75 in Lowell MA. I really would like to get a replacement NASDS card. I am now a PADI MADT but still would like one.

They merged with SSI over a decade ago. Sometime after that there was a Fire and a lot of records were lost.

Check here: EXTENDED RANGE

One of my buddies was originally certified NASDS. SSI abandoned replacing NASDS cards. His card is broken into pieces, but we pieced it together and laminated it. We haven't run into any dive ops that wouldn't take the card, but sometimes he did have to do a bit of 'splainin. Eventually he got a nitrox cert from NAUI and just presents the nitrox card everywhere. If you just need a card to present, then taking some kind of upgrade/specialty course is an easy option. If you want a replacement card for nostalgia reasons you're probably out of luck.

If it were me and I wanted a replacement for nostalgia reasons, I'd just design a document that matches the original card as closely as possible and then send it off to have a card printed by some print shop. Flatbed scanner and a few hours in photoshop could probably result in a near perfect replacement.

Replacements are NOT available from SSI. I've copied (with permission) most of a recent (Oct 2020) email from them.

Unfortunately, SSI is not able to replace or verify NASDS certifications. Please read below for more details and other options.

If you would like an updated physical card:

If you are an NASDS certified diver with an NASDS certification card, logbook, or diploma and would like to get an updated Open Water Diver certification, please contact your local SSI Dive Center. You can use the DC Locator feature at our website www.divessi.com to locate a nearby dive center. Simply click on the DC Locator link and look for your closest store or follow the link below: DiveSSI - Scuba Schools International - Home of Scuba

Once you have located a store, you have two options to get a new SSI Open Water Diver certification card:
1. If you have proof that you were NASDS certified and have been diving regularly since you were first certified, you can complete the SSI Experienced Diver program. This is an abbreviated Open Water Diver course, which will provide you with access to our online course materials and an updated certification card, digital and plastic, if desired.
2. Enroll in an SSI Specialty Course (such as Nitrox). This approach has several advantages:
  1. The card is accepted not only as proof of Open Water Diver certification, but also that you are trained in the use of Enriched Air Nitrox, since the prerequisite for Nitrox is the Open Water certification.
  2. The course is less expensive and quicker than a full Open Water Diver course.
  3. You are then in the verification system with an up-to-date certification.
  4. You have access to the most current digital learning materials.
  5. You aren’t forced to present a certification which might have your Social Security number displayed.
There are fees associated with any training and card processing, so please clarify this in advance with the dive center, keeping in mind that updated training is for your personal safety and the safety of those diving with and around you.

If you only need your card information added to our online database:

If you still have a copy of your NASDS certification, we can add this to an existing SSI profile as a non-SSI certification.

It will then show up worldwide in the SSI diver verification as a non-SSI certification. For this, you will need to have an SSI profile. If you do not have an SSI profile, please go to our website, click the <log-in> button on the top right and register. Then email us a copy of your NASDS certification and we will add it to your SSI profile as a non-SSI certification. Your card information will be visible in your SSI profile under Programs and CardsàCards.
This will provide you with confirmation that you have shown SSI a valid, non-SSI certification, which can then be confirmed through our diver verification system by any dive center with an internet connection at DIVER VERIFICATION.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom