PADI Junior Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dujubber

Registered
Reaction score
I feel MISLED!

My whole life as an instructor I believed the depth limit for a PADI Junior Open Water diver aged between 12 and 14 was 12m/40ft! On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet.

I am probably the worst at this but I take fellow instructors word as law. I must of heard this particular rule somewhere in my early diving days, and trusting him/her, never bothered to check it up in my manual when I became an instructor myself.

I doubt I would be making such a big deal of this if I had not made a bet. I would have shrugged it off with a 'well fancy that' and replaced the lies with the truth.

I have found depth restrictions for certified Junior Open Water divers aged 10 and 11, but, please could someone tell me that my previous assumption on depth restrictions for 12-14 year old divers was right, and give me a sound reference for the law.

PLEASE!!!

I feel MISLED!

My whole life as an instructor I believed the depth limit for a PADI Junior Open Water diver aged between 12 and 14 was 12m/40ft! On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet.

I am probably the worst at this but I take fellow instructors word as law. I must of heard this particular rule somewhere in my early diving days, and trusting him/her, never bothered to check it up in my manual when I became an instructor myself.

I doubt I would be making such a big deal of this if I had not made a bet. I would have shrugged it off with a 'well fancy that' and replaced the lies with the truth.

I have found depth restrictions for certified Junior Open Water divers aged 10 and 11, but, please could someone tell me that my previous assumption on depth restrictions for 12-14 year old divers was right, and give me a sound reference for the law.

PLEASE!!!

Um... sorry I also thought the same as you did.

Though I found this.. 10/11 year old is to 36 feet, 12 to 14 year olds 63 feet.

New news to me.

£375

Course Dates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the age of 10 years the kids can participate in the full Certificated Open Water course

Which consists of the same as the adult

5 theory modules. (Knowledge Reviews) in the classroom

5 confined /pool water modules in the pool

4 Open Water Dives

After the course is complete 10 to 11 olds must ONLY dive with a qualified parent, guardian or a PADI professional with a maximum depth limit of 12 metres.12 to 14 olds maximum 21 meters

NO HIDDEN EXTRAS!!

ALL study materials and certification is included in the course price, as is the equipment hire

They will receive a logbook and certification card

Price includes Equipment Hire

this is from the padi web site

Bubblemaker (ages 8+)

This is a good way for children to experience scuba diving in the pool in less than six feet of water. Celebrate a birthday by throwing a memorable, exciting Bubblemaker party with friends at your local PADI dive shop or resort.

Seal Team (ages 8+)
The PADI Seal Team is for young divers who are looking for action-packed fun in a pool by doing exciting scuba AquaMissions. Divers are introduced to underwater photography, navigation, environmental awareness and more.

Junior Open Water Diver (ages 10-14)
Young people can take the full PADI Open Water Diver scuba certification course and upon completion will become Junior Open Water Divers with certain age limitations for scuba diving:

Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres /40 feet.
Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult. (13+ years old can take the Open Water Diver course online.
Junior Advanced Open Water Diver(ages 12-14)
Young people can continue the adventure and build their skills by taking the Advanced Open Water Diver course with a few limitations

Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years must complete three adventure dives to become a Junior Adventure Diver. They must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres/ 40 feet
Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years may complete three Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Adventure Diver rating or five Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Advanced Open Water rating They must dive with a certified adult.
Junior Rescue Diver (ages 12-14)
Young divers ages 12-14 rise to challenges and learn how to master them in the PADI Rescue Diver course. Upon completion, they become Junior Rescue Divers. They must dive with a certified adult.

Junior Master Scuba Diver (ages 12-14)
Young divers ages 12-14 can continue building experience and exploring unique diving environments on their way to the Master Scuba Diver Rating. They must dive with a certified adult.

this info i credit to Mark C @ yorkshire divers forums
Junior Open Water Diver (ages 10-14)

Young people can take the full PADI Open Water Diver scuba certification course and upon completion will become Junior Open Water Divers with certain age limitations for scuba diving:

* Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years old must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres /40 feet.
* Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years old must dive with a certified adult. (13+ years old can take the Open Water Diver course online.

PADI Junior Adventure Diver and PADI Junior Open Water DiverJunior Advanced Open Water Diver(ages 12-14)

Young people can continue the adventure and build their skills by taking the Advanced Open Water Diver course with a few limitations

* Junior Open Water Divers ages 10-11 years must complete three adventure dives to become a Junior Adventure Diver. They must dive with a PADI Professional or certified parent/guardian. Dives must not exceed 12 metres/ 40 feet
* Junior Open Water Divers ages 12-14 years may complete three Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Adventure Diver rating or five Adventure Dives to earn the Junior Advanced Open Water rating They must dive with a certified adult.

For a junior Open Water Diver aged 10 & 11 years old, the max depth is 40ft - 12 meters!
The junior diver must then dive onty with a Professional Diver!

For a Junior Advanced Open Water Diver age 12 - 14 years old, the deepest dive he may dive to is a max depth of 70ft - 21meters!
The junior Diver must then dive with a certified adult!

I can find nothing that states that a diver over the age of 12 can go deeper than 40ft - 12 meters!

dujubber:
My whole life as an instructor......I am probably the worst at this but I take fellow instructors word as law.

I find it disturbing that you, as an instructor, haven't read the standards.

"On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet."

From the statement of the OP, I must conclude that he did read the standards in order to provide and answer to the question.

the K

"On a trip the other day I was speaking to a fellow instructor who challenged me to find that restriction anywhere in the PADI instructor manual. Well I could not, and have now lost an expensive bet."

From the statement of the OP, I must conclude that he did read the standards in order to provide and answer to the question.

the K

Shouldn't he have read the standards right before or around the time he became an instructor as opposed to later - to verify that what he had been told about them was untrue?

The Kraken:

Excellent point. I'll rephrase.

I find it disturbing that you, as an instructor, don't know the standards from having read them and have instead been relying on hearsay.

It's a matter of when he finally got around to reading them.

I feel MISLED!

Maybe you should rethink the idea of taking everyone's word as "law". You should maybe also brush up on agency standards and procedures

Back
Top Bottom