PADI and NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nimoh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am currently registered to take the PADI open water course which came highly recommended from a friend. However I am curious as to whether or not this would qualify me to take advanced courses in NAUI? Or, once I start down the PADI path, would I have to continue down that path or start over in NAUI?

also, what about the opposite, if I started down the NAUI path?

There is reciprocity between the two organizations. They do accept equivlent qualifications at the various class levels. This should not be a problem at all.

PADI and NAUI...

Couldn't help but hearing the subject line of your post in Julie Andrew's voice...

sound_music.jpg

PADI and NAUI and whiskers on kittens
P-valves on dry suits and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel backplates and wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Bright shiny bolt snaps on seven-foot hoses
Black colored mask skirts with purge-valveless noses
Argon and trimix and jet fins with springs

Frog kicks and fundies and J.J. and GUE
Wetnotes and slap straps and a surface marker buoy
Light heads and scooters clipped off on D-rings

When my job bites
When my wife complains
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

Do you think Fraulein Maria was a diver?

As GoinDrinking said, there is no problem crossing over from one to another. PADI and NAUI accept each other's certificates (and most of the larger organisations do. PADI is world's biggest, so you won't get any problems with a PADI Open Water Diver certificate).

Usually a dive shop will accept any open water certification from any agency in order to progress onto another agencies advanced levels.

For example,

If you have NAUI OW you can register at our work to do the PADI Advanced open water
If you are a PADI OW you can start at BSAC Sports Diver (the second level with BSAC) however you have to do a special class in Drysuit and Nitrox as they are included in BSAC Ocean (Open water)

I can comment on all other agencies as they may have certain requirements extra (such as BSAC one above)

The link below gives a good comparison of where you cross to with BSAC/PADI/SSI/CMAS/NAUI

BSAC SSI CMAS PADI crossover scuba diving instructor training course program dive thailand

It also depends on the NAUI instructor. A NAUI instructor I know requires PADI divers wishing to progress through NAUI classes to verify their skills are up to NAUI standards. NAUI OW has some skills that PADI does not teach and the instructor is free to set his/her own prerequisites. I'm the same way. If there is any question about the divers skills I require a pool session or two and perhaps checkout dives before allowing any diver I do not know to take any of my advanced specialties. Helps keep the people who may not be ready for advanced classes from getting in over their head (so to speak). I've yet to meet any weekend wonder certs that are ready for my AOW right after their OW certification. I'm betting there are more than few NAUI instructors who see the same thing and suggest more experience before taking these students on.

Likewise ... although I'm a bit less formal about it (I'm a NAUI instructor, currently taking a year off from teaching). Whenever I've gotten a request for a class from someone I'm not familiar with I will want to go diving with them to see where their skills are at before they sign up. It's just a fun dive ... so there's no test or pressure or anything. I just want to get an idea (a) whether they're ready for the class and (b) if there's anything I should be prepared to emphasize during the class to help them achieve the class objectives.

I've had LOTS of students who did their OW through a different agency, and cross-over has never been an issue. I have recommended to a few folks that they get more dives in ... and perhaps a bit of mentoring ... before progressing to the class they want to take.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom