Andi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schlabotnik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just signed up for classes for ANDI certification and have researched their offerings on the internet. What I found on their site isn't exactly compelling, it seems to only answer instructors questions, nothing for the end user.

I have wanted to dive for quite some time but want to be sure that my certification will allow me to dive 'anywhere' I travel. I'm going to Hawaii in a couple of months, but want to be able to rent gear and dive 'round the world.

TIA

I just signed up for classes for ANDI certification and have researched their offerings on the internet. What I found on their site isn't exactly compelling, it seems to only answer instructors questions, nothing for the end user.

I have wanted to dive for quite some time but want to be sure that my certification will allow me to dive 'anywhere' I travel. I'm going to Hawaii in a couple of months, but want to be able to rent gear and dive 'round the world.

TIA

ANDI was started as a technical diving agency. t has branched into recreational training and they are small compared to some others but are recognised worldwide. They have some very good instructors and hold them to very high standards. You training should be top notch

TIA

Don't fall into the "C-card" trap. Agencies like to claim how "recognized" their C-cards are as a marketing ploy. Such recognition is like recognizing McDonald's golden arches. There are many training agencies throughout the world and dive pros working at centers and resorts have heard of most of them. I never had trouble with any C-card I ever showed at any dive center or resort anywhere. A C-card cannot save your life when conditions deteriorate or when emergencies occur. Good training with a dedicated, caring, experienced and talented instructor can. If you showed me an ANDI C-card, I'd assume your instructor was a tech diver and better prepared you for diving than if you produced more popular C-cards.

Your initial certification is also not the end of the road. You will want to be certified in OW, AOW, Rescue and Nitrox at a minimum. You can find excellent instructors from different agencies for these courses. You are not locked into one agency.

It's really the instructor who makes most of the difference in your education and safety. Choose your mentors wisely no matter what the alphabet says on the C-card.

Believe me, I know what marketing does to certifications - not to name names, but as someone in the computer industry, I know which cert's are useful and which are not :wink:

My concern is about my ability to dive when I travel :)

I really enjoyed conversing with my soon to be instructor, he has other cert's besides ANDI but considered ANDI to be a 'step up' (not his words, what I gleaned from him in our conversation), something alluded to by the previous comment also.

And, I don't expect this to end with one certification. Since I expressed interest in someday diving below the ice, he also recommended that I add-on dry-suit to my repertoire, so I've signed up for that too.

BTW, don't everybody else shy away after a couple of answers, I want to know what a cross-section thinks :)

BTW, don't everybody else shy away after a couple of answers, I want to know what a cross-section thinks :)

When I started looking into teaching technical diving, I spent a lot of time looking at ANDI as a possible option. I think their courses are good, and the standards high. There was just no option to really become an ANDI instructor given the geographic constraints I have to deal with.

You don't have to limit yourself to just one agency - if you are really worried about travel, then sign up for a cheap PADI AOW course somewhere. This was a popular option for BSAC divers, who don't get a card just a logbook. The logbooks aren't always accepted as proof of certification in some destinations, so many BSAC divers I know (who are trained well beyond the PADI AOW standard) have done the PADI AOW for that reason.

As long as an ANDI card says "certified diver" on it, it shouldn't cause you any problems at all, though.

You don't have to limit yourself to just one agency - if you are really worried about travel, then sign up for a cheap PADI AOW course somewhere.

Dude, I hope you meant that the OP should get a cheap PADI AOW card after taking a high-quality AOW course with a mighty fine education-oriented instructor regardless of training agency.

Dude, I hope you meant that the OP should get a cheap PADI AOW card after taking a high-quality AOW course with a mighty fine education-oriented instructor regardless of training agency.

I meant get the card for the sake of getting a card that is recognised, irrespective of what other training has been taken prior or is planned for after - which, like you say, is about finding a good instructor.

When I started looking into teaching technical diving, I spent a lot of time looking at ANDI as a possible option. I think their courses are good, and the standards high. There was just no option to really become an ANDI instructor given the geographic constraints I have to deal with.

You don't have to limit yourself to just one agency - if you are really worried about travel, then sign up for a cheap PADI AOW course somewhere. This was a popular option for BSAC divers, who don't get a card just a logbook. The logbooks aren't always accepted as proof of certification in some destinations, so many BSAC divers I know (who are trained well beyond the PADI AOW standard) have done the PADI AOW for that reason.

As long as an ANDI card says "certified diver" on it, it shouldn't cause you any problems at all, though.
BSAC now issues qualification cards. Perhaps in response to the issue you mentioned.
Qualification Cards - British Sub Aqua Club

I agree the OP should have no problem with an ANDI card. They've been around for over 20 years, and are well respected.

Worst case, refer whoever questions the certification to ANDI's website, or even this thread.

BSAC now issues qualification cards. Perhaps in response to the issue you mentioned.
Qualification Cards - British Sub Aqua Club

I'm not surprised, it was a major issue when BSAC divers travelled to small destinations.

A few years ago, an SB member who had done courses through ANDI came to visit NZ for work and we went diving, his ANDI card was accepted here no question.

ANDI runs a very tight ship, their course material is great as are their standards and you will not have a problem using their C-cards so put your mind at rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom