PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever agency you used, you tell everyone that's the best & the rest are crap. That's what everyone else does. You do not need any facts to back up this silly claim either.

By the way, welcome to the board.

There are major differences between the two and between them and others agencies as well. Better is a matter of opinion. If you truly wish to know which is better, you'll need to compare those differences and make up your own mind.

Your relative's opinion is fairly common.

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
Whatever agency you used, you tell everyone that's the best & the rest are crap. That's what everyone else does. You do not need any facts to back up this silly claim either.

By the way, welcome to the board.

well said my friend....

Skills taught are almost identical.
PADI has a semi-structured order that skills have to be tested, some skills are flexible as to when. NAUI recommends, but has no requirement for when a skill is tested.
NAUI requires a skin dive, PADI does not.
Both agencies require 4 scuba dives.
PADI Instructors have to certify when all the skills have been tested and completed.
NAUI Instructors can hold back a certification if they feel that the student is not competent, even if all skills are complete.

Both cards are recognized worldwide.

Back in the old days a NAUI Instructor Program was one of the more difficult. Such was the case for my NAUI ITC vs. my PADI IDC. I don’t know if that is the case any longer or not. It literally is the Instructor you choose these days, not the agency.

Sorry Wood, you are mistaken.

"Skills taught are almost identical."

Some are, others are not. PADI requires no mask breathing - a critical skill which NAUI ignores. OTOH, NAUI requires simulated in water rescue breathing with PADI does not require.

"Both agencies require 4 scuba dives."

Nope. PADI requires 4 SCUBA dives. NAUI requires 5 dives, one of which may be a skin dive, but it can be a 5th SCUBA dive (I think you confused NAUI with YMCA which does require 4 SCUBA and 1 skin dive).

PADI requires 4 scuba dives with an optional skin dive. Extra dives are allowed also and refered to as excursion dives. I can do as many as three training dives in a day or two training dives and an excursion dive. An excursion dive is simply an extra dive for fun which isn't counted as one of the required dives and there isn't any limit to how many can be done.
IMO, any instructor who gives student 4 or even 5 20 minute training dives isn't doing his job. The las class I tought got in about 250 minutes of bottom time as apposed to the 80 that are required. You learn by doing.

I know a shop that places an instructor on a platform. A DM shuttles a group of students out so the instructor can conduct the skills. When the skills are done the divemaster shuttles them back and that's their tour.

The 20 minute minimum for a dive is meant to allow a dive to count if some one gets cold or something. Some use it to enable one instructor to have thirty students in a day.

The agencies know that this stuff goes on and their all crap to me until they address it.

Walter once bubbled...
Sorry Wood, you are mistaken.
PADI requires no mask breathing - a critical skill which NAUI ignores.

I've always wondered why NAUI does not mention this specifically. It is an important skill. I have my students do it anyway.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

I've always wondered why NAUI does not mention this specifically. It is an important skill. I have my students do it anyway.

Let me see: if you have to remove and replace your mask UW, aren't you breathing all the time?

Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom