NAUI Certification _after_ a PADI Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vox

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am certified by PADI with a Nitrox endorsement.

I am wondering if a NAUI certification would be a good decision to get a different perspective and instruction on essential diving technique and principles?

Has anyone done this?

Is this recommended?

Thanks for any and all feedback...

I am certified by PADI with a Nitrox endorsement.

I am wondering if a NAUI certification would be a good decision to get a different perspective and instruction on essential diving technique and principles?

Has anyone done this?

Is this recommended?

Thanks for any and all feedback...

Are you suggesting repeating the OW certification or obtaining a more "advanced" cert from NAUI? I would say that if you are confident with your OW basics, don't waste your time repeating the class.

If you want to get your AOW, by all means try out NAUI if you'd like. That said, if you liked your OW instructor, you might wish to stay the course with him or her... I'd think they would make more of a difference than the certifying agency.

I've had good and bad instructors. It doesn't seem that the agency is the distinguishing factor.

My brother got PADI OW then NAUI AOW in the '80s. He's done 150 dives and says it was a good way to go.

Thank You TMHeimer and B Lo for your responses.

To clarify, I am suggesting that I repeat the OW class offered by NAUI to get another perspective of the OW certification. I have 100+ dives in my log now and am becoming increasingly interested about gas theory and the overall physiology of diving. I have not been fortunate enough to develop a great relationship with a DI or LDS. I dive mostly with my friends in Bonaire and Curacao.

Interested in anyone elses take on this as well. I suppose there is no such thing as too much education, right? :wink:

Don't retake open water. It sounds like you're diving pretty regularly, and would gain more from doing something advanced. Honestly if you're starting to wonder about gas theory and things of that nature maybe an intro to tech would be the way to go. Especially if you've already got some deep dives logged.

Thank You TMHeimer and B Lo for your responses.

To clarify, I am suggesting that I repeat the OW class offered by NAUI to get another perspective of the OW certification. I have 100+ dives in my log now and am becoming increasingly interested about gas theory and the overall physiology of diving. I have not been fortunate enough to develop a great relationship with a DI or LDS. I dive mostly with my friends in Bonaire and Curacao.

Interested in anyone elses take on this as well. I suppose there is no such thing as too much education, right? :wink:

I would say you would be better off taking a different approach. PADI and NAUI cover essentially the same material in their OW classes ... the most significant difference is that NAUI tends to focus more on the "why", while PADI tends to focus more on the "how". So while taking a NAUI class would provide you with more of the theory and physiology than PADI, it wouldn't be enough to justify the expense and effort of retaking a class you're already certified for. My guess is that you would come away thinking there wasn't enough "meat" to satisfy.

If you have a relationship with a NAUI instructor or shop, discuss with them what it would take to get you through their Master Diver program. That will give you all the theory and physiology you'll ever need at the recreational level. If taught properly, it's the best course NAUI has to offer.

NAUI Advanced Scuba Diver or an equivalent course from another agency is a prerequisite to Master Scuba Diver certification, but your instructor may be willing to bundle the two course into a program that suits your needs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You might also want to consider Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures. You couls also pick up a copy of "Deco for Divers" by Mark Powell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom