PADI vs. NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lindsnik

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Which agency is better to be certified with? I'm looking to get certified within the next month or so and was wondering if one was better than the other. My sis and her family are all PADI certified and my best friends are all NAUI. Any advice?

You'll be able to dive with either of those cards or a host of others. I think everyone should try to find the most comprehensive approach to teaching diving in their area.

I have some advice for you in the first post of this thread.

If you'll tell me what part of Florida you call home, I might be able to direct you towards an instructor I consider excellent.

Walter,

I live in the St. Pete area. Any help would be great!

In my opinion the instructor makes more of a difference than the certifying agency. Both PADI and NAUI are widely accepted so you should talk to other divers and try to find an instructor who comes recommended. You will learn more and retain more if you work with a motivated instructor no matter what agency they represent.

Bob (Toronto)

Well I have an instructor that came recommended from 2 different parties completely independent of each other who's NAUI. I just want to make sure I get someone who's comprehensive and he seems to be if 2 different people recommend him. I just wasn't sure if there was a big difference between the 2.

i actually got certed with both, maybe its an option

Well I have an instructor that came recommended from 2 different parties completely independent of each other who's NAUI. I just want to make sure I get someone who's comprehensive and he seems to be if 2 different people recommend him. I just wasn't sure if there was a big difference between the 2.

between PADI and NAUI there isn't a significant difference in the end result between the two.

go with the recommended instructor or whichever shop you feel more comfortable with...

lindsnik:
I just want to make sure I get someone who's comprehensive and he seems to be if 2 different people recommend him.

Maybe, but most divers think their instructor was excellent, even when the instructor is really inadequate. Interview him to be sure. Print out the questions in the link I provided and find out how comprehensive a course he teaches.

between PADI and NAUI there isn't a significant difference in the end result between the two.

go with the recommended instructor or whichever shop you feel more comfortable with...

This is not exactly a true statement. There are significant differences in OW training standards among the agencies. Some allow a person to get certed in a weekend with minimal skills while others are far more comprehensive. And often at no more expense. NAUI is another agency (along with a few others) that includes rescue skills in the OW class that PADI does not. They also have skills in the pool sessions that under other systems do not come until much later if at all.

The myth that all Basic OW classes are the same is one that quickly gets blown away when a new diver begins to actually compare the actual standards. One reason why I have them from 6 agencies and allow and encourage my students to look at.

Jim, could you please list all the agencies you have Standards for with Standards that "allow" certification in a weekend?

Your definition of "weekend" would be nice as well.

Also, are you including the students homework? (book/video or eLearning)

:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom