CHEAPEST PLACE IN THE WORLD to become a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennygill

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Where is the cheapest place to become Dive Master/Dive Instructor?

I'm not looking for a discussion on whether or not going with the cheapest place is a good idea. I just want to know where you think is the cheapest!

Thanks,
Ben

Cheapest? I IMPO,all fees are pretty much set in stone. The cost of travel,lodging,food,entertainment,and whether you want to work for nothing during your certification,would be the total expense. Usually the big dive school operations that turn dozens of DM/IDC will be the most reasonable. I have seen group discounts also. Your location,I would check out the Philippines or Thailand areas.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

In South Africa you can do a DM course anything from $900-$1500

I was thinking of doing a dive internship, but everywhere I look you have to pay $2000-$3000!

I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of PAYING to do an "intership". I was hoping to find somewhere that lets you work in the shop/boat in exchange for food, accommodation, and course fees. I've heard that these places exist, but not sure where they are!

The location doesn't really bother me because I'm going on a massive 2-3 year trip working my way all over the world. So I just want to know where would be the best place before I get there!

I was thinking of doing a dive internship, but everywhere I look you have to pay $2000-$3000!

I don't know about you but I don't like the idea of PAYING to do an "intership". I was hoping to find somewhere that lets you work in the shop/boat in exchange for food, accommodation, and course fees. I've heard that these places exist, but not sure where they are!

The location doesn't really bother me because I'm going on a massive 2-3 year trip working my way all over the world. So I just want to know where would be the best place before I get there!

I guess there's part of your answer. All the places Ive been to, SEA, NZ, Oz, DM prices have been pretty similar. Id be very suprised if you managed to find free food, accommodation, fees etc. After all DMs/DMCs are a dime a dozen. I am one of those dimes/dozens.:wink: Finding work has been not as easy as I had hoped, I don't there are too many wealthy DMs in the world, it's more of a lifestyle. Fees being equal if you can do it somewhere nice, warm, cheap, friendly i.e. SEA thats what id do. Good luck.

I was hoping to find somewhere that lets you work in the shop/boat in exchange for food, accommodation, and course fees

Working the shop/boat is part of doing your DM. You might get discount food and bed, but I'm yet to hear of anyone waiving course fees. Usually you get free (fun) diving while doing your course & that's the payoff

So as was suggested previously, your best bet is to choose somewhere with the lowest cost of living, which would be in Asia

occasionally you see offers on the employment section on the PADI pro site, if you can find someone that lets you use their log in to check it out, they have intern adverts where you work off the costs but I immagine that there will still be charges even if only the PADI fees once you get in to it.

I think it may be worth your while searching some past threads on SB about DM wages to get a better idea of the sort of thing you are getting in to. 2-3 grand seems high, I don't know if you are quoting in oz dollars there, general advise is make sure when comparing prices that you are getting the full quote and know what the DM application fee is at the end of it, it's a nightmre when you hear about people signing up for courses and then get introduced to "hidden extras" that you can't really do the course without.

As above I immagine Thailand, Phillippines or Central America would be some of the cheaper ones and the point that someone made about living expenses in the country that you do it in is very valid too.

Hey guys,

Where is the cheapest place to become Dive Master/Dive Instructor?

I'm not looking for a discussion on whether or not going with the cheapest place is a good idea. I just want to know where you think is the cheapest!

Thanks,
Ben

But maybe that discussion would be beneficial?

In my experience the word "cheapest" seldom is part of any sentence that includes the word "Quality".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom