Will action to an Instructor from one agency prompt action from another?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darushin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For those who areinterested, PADI Expelled Members

Here is a question, the individual was also certified to teach via SDI and NAUI I a wondering if being expelled from one agency will cause a review with other agencies?

Daru

I wouldn't think so unless someone files a QA action against them with the other agency. Getting expelled from PADI is mostly about failure to follow PADI standards, and being unrepentant when caught at it. For instance, bad-mouthing PADI is against standards, and you may be counselled for doing it. If you then bad-mouth them again, you will be counselled in stronger terms. If you persist in bad-mouthing PADI, you will be expelled as a member. If you represent yourself as something you aren't (a DM parading as an instructor, for instance), you will be expelled.

None of those things are necessarily against the standards of other organizations. If you are looking for "unsafe" instructors to be expelled, well, that's almost as hard as firing a federal employee. The documentation of an instructor being unsafe would be onerous and isn't really what PADI is looking to fix, after all, if the instructor is following standards, by definition, they can't be "unsafe". So, for a person to be expelled from SDI or NAUI they would have to be teaching a SDI or NAUI class, violate standards, and refuse to be upgraded or re-taught. That doesn't happen for violating PADI standards.

For those who areinterested, PADI Expelled Members

Here is a question, the individual was also certified to teach via SDI and NAUI I a wondering if being expelled from one agency will cause a review with other agencies?

Daru

How do you know? The training agencies are notorious for not talking to each other.

Dale

I can't answer for NAUI but for SEI and SDI it will. A review that is.

If SDI expels me for trash talking PADI, I'm gonna be really mad.

Didn't say they would expel. But a review is possible to make sure you were not expelled for something serious like killing someone. Heck you might get a attaboy from some corners if you went against standards to teach above and beyond.:D

I can't answer for NAUI but for SEI and SDI it will. A review that is.

I would be very surprised if SDI was even aware of PADI QA issues let alone respond to them.

Is everyone aware of the fact that in the case being referred to here, the action was taken by PADI after a student died during an OW class? We are not talking about trash talking.

For instance, bad-mouthing PADI is against standards, and you may be counselled for doing it. If you then bad-mouth them again, you will be counselled in stronger terms. If you persist in bad-mouthing PADI, you will be expelled as a member. If you represent yourself as something you aren't (a DM parading as an instructor, for instance), you will be expelled.

please tell me you are kidding

if that is true it is very very sad

reminds me of an organization that suspends its members for being sarcastic

Is everyone aware of the fact that in the case being referred to here, the action was taken by PADI after a student died during an OW class? We are not talking about trash talking.

i must have missed it, all i've seen is a link to expelled members

If I understand the instructor agreement I signed I am required to notify the agency if another I cert through takes action against me. And when my insurance finds out I'm guessing word will get around.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom