Have anyone been turned down for diving because of their certification agency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnmckenzie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We get asked all the time,"Will my C-card be accepted if I travel to dive?" Of course it will.

But I wondered if anyone has every heard of someone being turned down because the shop or charter did not accept their particular agencies card?

Thanks,
John

I used to divemaster for a shop that wouldn't fill tanks or rent gear to divers who had a SDI certification unless they could prove to him that they owned a dive computer. His reasoning was that they were not taught tables. This was a PADI shop. I don't know if he has changed his priorities now that PADI shops don't have to teach tables any longer.

His reasoning was that they were not taught tables. This was a PADI shop. I don't know if he has changed his priorities now that PADI shops don't have to teach tables any longer.

I was going to ask the same thing.

I've never been turned down, but many PADI shops didn't recognize my original Los Angeles County c-card from the 60s and requested a check-out dive before I did any other dives. Too bad these PADI instructors didn't have a better understanding of the history of this activity and knowledge of the far more rigorous LAC certification programs. I finally met a PADI instructor in Cairns, Australia, who not only recognized my c-card, he referred to it as a "museum piece." I asked about getting a PADI AOW card from him and he was very helpful. I'm not bashing PADI here... the same thing might have happened had I dived with a shop associated with other agencies.

I also think of a story Bob Meistrell of Body Glove/Dive N Surf told me about a dive trip to the Philippines back in the early 60s. He had forgotten his c-card and was told he couldn't dive. The group vouched for him and when the local divemaster saw Bob underwater he said no need to find the card. For those who don't know, Bob was one of the very early Los Angeles County instructors and a legend.

By the way, I keep scanned copies of my c-cards on my web site with my dive log so if I happen to forget my c-card, I can point the shop to my web site to verify my certification.

I believe you can find threads on here about a fake agency/training organization. (Scuba Divers of America - SDA? I think). THey advertise that their training I recognized but it is not.

In the event that I forget my c-card, I can show to the shop master the SSI web page where alll my cards are displayed, including the number of dives I had at the moment to be certified. As internet is every where nowadays, carrying your c-card, considering that the very certification agency has it on-line, sounds a little odd.

I've often wondered how those YMCA cert cards are viewed by dive ops. I understand YMCA got out of the scuba cert business not too long ago.

I always carry my cards and have been asked for them at every shop I have dove with. I did not know that padi dropped tables. I know that ssi dropped tables a few years ago.

I've often wondered how those YMCA cert cards are viewed by dive ops. I understand YMCA got out of the scuba cert business not too long ago.
I had my YMCA card turned down in the Seychelles years ago, no problem I also had the CMAS card.

Never had a problem... (YMCA - 1988), but then again, I think I have been asked to show a card twice in 25 years..... Once in the Bahamas on the first day at the resort, and the first day in Bonaire. Charters around here really just want your money.

Side Bar: Every time I have to list my certification (like the sign-in at the quarry entrance), I always list YMCA (even though I hold a PDIC [AOW], and NAUI [rescue and MSD] cards.... just for a response....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom