Intial OW weight belt training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gopbroek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A general question, for initial OW instructors. I understand that the training standards are constantly evolving and change with time. I would like to hear from instructors of the three disciplines, PADI, NAUI, and SSI whether or not weight belt training is still in their curriculum. I understand that with the evolution of integrated BCD's the weight belt is slowly being replaced. However when you rent equipment most of the BCD's are not integrated.:confused:
Is it still a requirement to teach right hand release? Does the curriculum's still require weight belt skills: removing and donning while in the water? Is the free ascent skill still taught and if so, how do they do it with integrated weights.
Second question is the requirement to train in the use of SMB’s. As I understand it has become a requirement with PADI but there are safety exclusions that many instructors use to skip the training (and I can honestly see a number of scenarios where this would be legitimate) but could anyone chime in with the actual requirement wording. My personnel opinion is that if all possible it should be done in the initial OW and if not at the minimum by dive 25, but I do understand the limitations.

Thank you for your kind responses:D

I would like to hear from instructors of the three disciplines, PADI, NAUI, and SSI whether or not weight belt training is still in their curriculum.
PADI does not require weight belt training if students use a weight integrated weight system. PADI does not require integrated weight training if a student is learning with a weight belt.
My stores BC’s are weight integrated. I can bring in weight belts and discuss and show their use. I know a number of instructors that use this same approach.

Is it still a requirement to teach right hand release? Does the curriculum's still require weight belt skills: removing and donning while in the water?
The video and text addresses the hand release of weight belts and the instructor should discuss and demonstrate if belts are used.
Weight removal is a confined water and open water skill requirement,as well as emergency weight drop in either confined water or open water.

Second question is the requirement to train in the use of SMB’s. As I understand it has become a requirement with PADI but there are safety exclusions that many instructors use to skip the training (and I can honestly see a number of scenarios where this would be legitimate) but could anyone chime in with the actual requirement wording.
2014 Instructor Manual:
Open Water Dive Performance Requirements
Dive Flexible Skills
During any Open Water Dive, have student divers demonstrate the following:

At the surface:
Inflatable Signal Tube Use — Deploy an inflatable signal tube at the surface, or deploy a delayed surface marker buoy (DSMB) from underwater.
As I understand it, each instructor would have to receive written permission from PADI to omit a skill from the program. They would have to identify those safety concerns.
IF, PADI were to grant an exemption, which I don’t see happening, they would most likely require the skill be taught in confined water.

I would like to hear from instructors of the three disciplines, PADI, NAUI, and SSI
My personnel opinion is that if all possible it should be done in the initial OW and if not at the minimum by dive 25, but I do understand the limitations.

3 disciplines? really?

how would you enforce such a standard?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom