PADI Advanced Open Water Referral for one dive only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prairiedog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone--

I'm currently in the Philippines (Southern Leyte) and I did 4 of my 5 Advanced Open Water dives already, as well as all the knowledge reviews. On my last dive I was super tired and hadn't slept and got really anxious and had to surface early. I would like to finish the course but I'm a bit freaked out right now and would like to take a few days to collect myself. But the weather isn't great here and there's nothing to do if I'm not diving. Does anyone know if I can finish the one final dive at another PADI dive center? I'm supposed to be in Moalboal for the remainder of my trip. Would it cost any less than the full course? Thanks.

This is a really unusual situation, and it calls for unusual actions.

We had a thread a few months ago about a similar situation. In it, someone claimed to have done ALL the AOW dives in a vacation location and looked to get the certification back home. The local shop first said they would do it after a checkout dive, but then they backed out when they really did not have any solid evidence that any of the dives were actually done with a real, active instructor. Add to that a level of fishiness to the story--if the instructor did the dives, why did the instructor not submit the paperwork for the certification?

In comparison, I was recently part of almost exactly what you want to do. I was the instructor for four AOW dives for a student. I could not complete the course with the student because we do not have local water deep enough for the deep dive. The student went on a trip--as planned--with another instructor from our shop to a site with deep enough water to finish the certification. It worked fine. The difference was communication. Both instructors knew the plan in advance. There was no question of the legitimacy of the dives. When the other instructor signed off for the certification, he knew for sure that everything was done properly.

Yes you can, you have 1 year from the last training section/ dive that you completed to complete a refferal. You will need the shop/ instructor to issue you a refferal form with the shop and instructor information to include the shop PADI number if they have one and the instructor PADI number. You should also make sure they put down their contact info so the next shop/instructor can contact the, if they wish to do so. If you do not complete it with in the year you will have to retake the whole course, also the longer you wait the harder it may be to find a shop/instructor that will finish the course with you as it is up to their discretion.

Also make sure the shop has given you all the PADI materials (AOW manual and data carrier) as well as the PIC form. If they will not give you the PIC form or they have it online and you have paid for it ask for a refund for that item as the new shop/instructor will then need to purchase one for you.

OP -- again, the simple answer is that it is permitted under PADI rules to have multiple instructors do the Five Adventure Dives that make the AOW Program. I'm not at all sure that there is a one year limit as stated by Denlascuba since once you have done an Adventure Dive, you've done it -- unlike the Open Water program which does require completion within one year. The key is to make sure you have all instructors fill out and sign the "PADI Advanced Open Water Training Record" which is a PADI form showing which Adventure Dives have been completed, when and by which instructor.

As to the cost, it is up to each shop/instructor.

OP -- again, the simple answer is that it is permitted under PADI rules to have multiple instructors do the Five Adventure Dives that make the AOW Program. I'm not at all sure that there is a one year limit as stated by Denlascuba since once you have done an Adventure Dive, you've done it -- unlike the Open Water program which does require completion within one year. The key is to make sure you have all instructors fill out and sign the "PADI Advanced Open Water Training Record" which is a PADI form showing which Adventure Dives have been completed, when and by which instructor.

As to the cost, it is up to each shop/instructor.
Peter is right about form not expiring. Good idea to not only have advance ow training filled out and a copy retained is to have dives documented and signed off by instructors in your PADI training log book.

OK great, everybody, thank you! I'm sure I can get all the documentation from this instructor. Much appreciated.

OK great, everybody, thank you! I'm sure I can get all the documentation from this instructor. Much appreciated.

As I said, it is an relatively rare event. Don't be too surprised if your instructor is not on top of the procedure, and don't think less of him or her for that.

Just wanted to confirm that I was able to do my final dive at a different resort. I basically took down all the information that people here said to get, gave a list to my instructor, and he documented all the dives, on the Advanced Open Water Training Record and in my log book. I also got stamps from him and the dive shop and his contact info. Knowing about the PIC form saved me from having to buy the book again, thank you for that tip!! I only had to pay for one Adventure Dive. So thank you thank you! Scubaboard rocks.

Reactions: RJP
Key thing here guys is that it isn't a "course" in the true sense of the word.

5 separate dives which can be done pretty much at anytime. So long as the dives were signed off correctly and all evidence provided for the KR's, no issue

Back
Top Bottom