BP/W & Long Hose In a PADI IE Exam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech99

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone done this or see this done during a PADI IE? How did it work out, particularly since some of the water IE tests are best done in a jacket BC and standard hose length?

Examples:

1. Rescue test #7 - unconscious diver on surface.
2. Scuba Unit removal and replacement UW
3. Weight belt removal and replacement UW
4. Alternate air source sharing.
5. Etc

Of course all of these skills can be done in a DIR setup but when taking the PADI - IE, you are required to simulate teaching and demo these skills to a simulated class, and it is assumed that all are wearing standard jacket style BC and standard short hose lengths.

I plan to teach in a DIR setup and encourage new OW students to start off with a DIR gear configuration. This will save the student's time and money and avoid learning/buying jacket BC config and later on, learning/buying BP/W down the road. So while I can do the IE in a jacket BC, I won't be true to my intent.

I welcome the advice, counsel of any PADI instructor examiner or CD reading this, as well as those that have seen this done in an actual IE.

Thanks.

...So while I can do the IE in a jacket BC...

There is your answer right there.

You are taking the IE to pass the IE, that is it's only function, so, fully deflate your BCD and plant your knees firmly on the bottom, pass the IE, after that, go teach "DIR".

Taking the IE in a technical configuration is a bad idea.....it serves no purpose other than to make passing the IE considerably harder.

"I plan to teach in a DIR setup and encourage new OW students to start off with a DIR gear configuration. This will save the student's time and money and avoid learning/buying jacket BC config and later on, learning/buying BP/W down the road."

Also a bad idea, unless you now for sure your OW students are going to be on that kind of path. MOST are not, and few will even own their own gear, but rather rent from wherever they are going to go diving every few years. Don't let your obsessions and preferences and opinions cause them problems. DIR is the answer to very few....and increasingly fewer, I'd say.

Has anyone done this or see this done during a PADI IE? How did it work out, particularly since some of the water IE tests are best done in a jacket BC and standard hose length?

Examples:

1. Rescue test #7 - unconscious diver on surface.
2. Scuba Unit removal and replacement UW
3. Weight belt removal and replacement UW
4. Alternate air source sharing.
5. Etc

Of course all of these skills can be done in a DIR setup but when taking the PADI - IE, you are required to simulate teaching and demo these skills to a simulated class, and it is assumed that all are wearing standard jacket style BC and standard short hose lengths.

I plan to teach in a DIR setup and encourage new OW students to start off with a DIR gear configuration. This will save the student's time and money and avoid learning/buying jacket BC config and later on, learning/buying BP/W down the road. So while I can do the IE in a jacket BC, I won't be true to my intent.

I welcome the advice, counsel of any PADI instructor examiner or CD reading this, as well as those that have seen this done in an actual IE.

Thanks.

You should ask this of TSandM and of Peter Guy....as they teach in BP/wing and I believe Peter is PADI.
If you want to avoid hearing the nonsense about how there is a need for PADI bottom kneeling and for sloppy stab jackets, then just PM these two people.

And using a BP/wing is NOT using tech gear...it is using gear that is less sloppy and that trims out better, and has less drag.

So while I can do the IE in a jacket BC, I won't be true to my intent.

Are you intent on successfully completing the IE?

Taking the IE in a technical configuration is a bad idea.....it serves no purpose other than to make passing the IE considerably harder...

... for your fellow IE candidates.

They will be your students... you will be theirs. You will have problems due their lack of familiarity with your gear.

Taking the IE in a technical configuration is a bad idea.....it serves no purpose other than to make passing the IE considerably harder.

I've got to call BS to a couple of points here:

a. A BP/W with primary donate/necklace is NOT a "technical configuration" in and of itself -- it is merely a back inflate BCD without the dangling Octo.

b. Such a configuration will not, in and of itself, make the IE "considerably harder.". The ONLY thing I've found in the least bit more difficult is pulling the necklace over the [#$%%^^] snorkel. That written, I'd also opt for a 40" hose on my primary rather than 5 or 7 foot -- just makes some things a little smoother.

Were I to do the IE now (and, honestly when I did my IE 6 years ago) I would NOT "deflate my BCD and plant my knees firmly on the bottom" -- nope, never -- and I'd be ashamed of any Examiner who advocated that.

What is the purpose of the IE? To demonstrate to the Examiner that you are comfortable teaching the skills assigned -- so do it in the gear that allows you to be most comfortable.

You should ask this of TSandM and of Peter Guy....as they teach in BP/wing and I believe Peter is PADI.
If you want to avoid hearing the nonsense about how there is a need for PADI bottom kneeling and for sloppy stab jackets, then just PM these two people.

And using a BP/wing is NOT using tech gear...it is using gear that is less sloppy and that trims out better, and has less drag.

Get serious. The OP's question was about the IE, and a BP/W + 7ft hose. Why should he make his IE harder?
Now. teaching in a DIR rig is a different animal, but assuming his students have any need or desire to go that path is on the line between presumptious and pretentious, and is definitely disconcerting.

You are taking the IE to pass the IE, that is it's only function, so, fully deflate your BCD and plant your knees firmly on the bottom, pass the IE, after that, go teach "DIR".

That is no longer an option as of last July 1.

Agreed, go find UTD/GUE and checkout their IDC.......nothing silly but only common sense taught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom