Do most dive shops require the Original PADI Cert cards or will a copy be ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChimarraoMate

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am wondering, if you guys think a laminated copy of the original cards would be sufficient for most PADI dive shops and PADI resorts? I can get those made for a lot cheeper than spending $22.50 for backups, and then I can just leave the originals at home where they are more safe.

FYI: I recently had my logs and many of me and my son's certification cards stollen from a rental vehicle. It cost me a few hundred bucks to get new PADI replacement cards through my DS.

As far as my logs go, I had been making computer backup logs in the software I import my DC data into, so I just needed to print those out to replace my missing logs. Unfortunately I do not have any original signatures except for my son who was my dive buddy in most cases.

I tend to bring my actual cards with me, but always also travel with a simple front/back A4 color print out tht includes all relevant cards (including insurance) in my bag in case something goes missing. When asked for "my certifications" I always show that sheet, simply because it's easier than handing over a deck of cards. In nine years, dozens of trips/ops/boats/countries, and nearly 1,000 dives I've never been asked to produce the actual cards themselves.

I tend to bring my actual cards with me, but always also travel with a simple front/back A4 color print out tht includes all relevant cards (including insurance) in my bag in case something goes missing. When asked for "my certifications" I always show that sheet, simply because it's easier than handing over a deck of cards. In nine years, dozens of trips/ops/boats/countries, and nearly 1,000 dives I've never been asked to produce the actual cards themselves.

Great idea! I think I will do the same, then it is just a few pages in my log book. I'll probably leave my cards at home from now on. I figure if PADI can get away with an eCard, then a clean color laminated copy should be acceptable. I too have had few shops even ask to see a card. They usually just have you write down your name and number.

I travel with three cards depending on where I'm going. All of them are my instructor cards. CMAS 2 star Instructor, SEI Instructor, and TDI Adv Nitrox Instructor if doing recreational diving. Those are in my wallet all the time. If doing tech travel then the CMAS SEI cards come out and Deco Procedures and Adv Wreck Instructor cards go in.

Although based on some reports that Adv Nitrox Instructor might not get me a nitrox fill. If I didn't have my PADI nitrox card I might be SOL.

Of course before I went anywhere I'd follow proper dive planning procedures and contact the op I was going to use and find out what they wanted to see. Most likely the card they would really care about would be VISA or MasterCard.

I had a shop (attendant) that would not accept my nitrox card because I was going to dive air. I would never put any element of absolute stupidity out of the realm of the possible with some shop.

Cards? What are cards?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom