Can A NAUI DM Assist A PADI Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverguy1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a long time NAUI Divemaster. My local shop has gone PADI although I haven't yet. Can I still assist with basic classes and count towards ratios?

I'm a long time NAUI Divemaster. My local shop has gone PADI although I haven't yet. Can I still assist with basic classes and count towards ratios?
No...you are not familiar with PADI standards and procedures. Cannot assist at any level.sorry. Would need to take entire PADI DM course and own PADI DM materials.

Would need to take entire PADI DM course and own PADI DM materials.

As I understand it, a NAUI Divemaster is equivalent to a PADI Assistant Instructor which requires more "stuff" than the PADI Divemaster course.

A few years ago I did, what was in effect, a "cross-over" for a NAUI DM to a PADI DM in that the course was, in fact, a "quickie" course. He took all of the exams (nailed them) and we did the in-water sessions (nailed them). As you might expect, it was not a teaching experience as opposed to an evaluation experience. If you can convince one of your new PADI instructors to do it this way, it might not be terribly painful.

Last edited:
To assist with a PADI class, you need to be a PADI Certified Assistant (PADI DM or higher). As Peter suggested, the cross-over could be fairly painless.

Or, just carry on to PADI Assistant instructor, using your NAUI DM as an "equivalent".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate all the comments and was afraid of the answer. I do have all the PADI materials so will just carry on. Cheers!

Or, just carry on to PADI Assistant instructor, using your NAUI DM as an "equivalent".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'd be my recommendation.

I appreciate all the comments and was afraid of the answer. I do have all the PADI materials so will just carry on. Cheers!
Do not lose the hologram. Need it for the application.
go for the asst inst rating if there is a course director or a five star facility with a IDC staff instructor in your area. Cost in NY area here would be about $700 in a group class, more if private, plus application fee to PADI and learning materials (IDC crewpack , not sure of price off top of my head,around $450. ) and elearning fee if staff instructor requires it.

So Diverguy, you are seeing that not all agencies respect professional reciprocity. As you know NAUI recognizes the training and professional standards of other agencies, and a professional holding a rating of equivalent standing or above from another agency will be recognized by NAUI - but there are agencies that do not share that principle of reciprocity. Sorry you have to switch to work.

MB:
So Diverguy, you are seeing that not all agencies respect professional reciprocity. As you know NAUI recognizes the training and professional standards of other agencies, and a professional holding a rating of equivalent standing or above from another agency will be recognized by NAUI - but there are agencies that do not share that principle of reciprocity. Sorry you have to switch to work.

This is utter nonsense.

A NAUI instructor can't use a PADI DM during a NAUI class.

PADI will let a NAUI DM train as an AI or OWSI as if a PADI DM no problem. They will not cross over an OWSI without having the OWSI attend an IE- to ensure they are competent teaching in PADI Standards.

SDI will cross over AFTER "familiarity" TRAINING a PADI, NAUI, SSI instructor.

CMAS, BSAC, and other internationals will not "cross over" without attending an examination - similar to PADI's process....

So PLEASE... Get over the misinformation train.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom