Regaining status, Crossing over, Costs and Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverGuam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is there a general thread on how one gets in status (as an instructor) for the different agencies? Either as a crossover, or in simply getting back into status? Both logistics and money are a concern.

In talking to a bunch of different instructors, renewing is easy with any agency. Becoming an instructor is easy when there is a local instructor trainer, and the cost is known up front. But once 'the guy' leaves and status lapses with one agency, it seems unusually hard/expensive to get going again with that agency.

The ones that have come up are NAUI and IANTD, but in general, I think most of us would make the decision on whether to re-up and/or crossover based on awareness of total cost. (This is where I am kicking myself for not becoming a NAUI lifetime member back in the day. AT the time it seemed expensive but.)

There is no need to know PADI's stuff because they are everywhere.

Hello DiverGuam,

I contacted my NAUI Rep to ask him the question you posted. He stated that you would have to call NAUI HQ and order the Instructor Upgrade Kit. You'll need an up to date version of the S&P 2012. Complete all of the information in the update kit and pay your membership dues and insurance.
To teach Leadership classes you also need to take the online Instructor Exam.

Hope this helps.

Hello DiverGuam,

I contacted my NAUI Rep to ask him the question you posted. He stated that you would have to call NAUI HQ and order the Instructor Upgrade Kit. You'll need an up to date version of the S&P 2012. Complete all of the information in the update kit and pay your membership dues and insurance.
To teach Leadership classes you also need to take the online Instructor Exam.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. I have tried to thank your post, but my connection is sketchy.

I don't need to have a local Course DIrector, then. This is nice. I wonder once I add all the costs up if it will be worth it. Insurance is not an issue, because I am current and teaching PADI.

Thanks for that. I have tried to thank your post, but my connection is sketchy.

I don't need to have a local Course DIrector, then. This is nice. I wonder once I add all the costs up if it will be worth it. Insurance is not an issue, because I am current and teaching PADI.

That is correct. You don't need to go through a Course Director. Everything can be completed by you. If you enjoy being a part of NAUI and teaching to NAUI standards then I am sure it will be worth it. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom