Main differences between PADI and SDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Youssef ElNahas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I completed my Open Water course with PADI but I've been considering continuing my dive education with SDI/TDI.

Could anyone tell me the differences and advantages/disadvantages of going with any specific agency? Replies on other threads I've read all state that the instructor is what matters. I'm new to diving however and don't know of any specifically good instructors. I would rather decide on one of the certification agencies then look for a good instructor that teaches their courses :)

what is motivating you to consider switching? It seems that you are aware that a good instructor is the most important factor no matter what agency is on your card...

I plan on finding a different instructor for my other courses regardless of what agency. Since I don't know of any specific instructor I thought picking a certification agency would be a good place to start.

I've been told that PADI only cares about profit and seeing courses such as golf ball divers I thought they might be on to something :p

I completed my Open Water course with PADI but I've been considering continuing my dive education with SDI/TDI.

What differences are causing you to consider SDI/TDI?

---------- Post added April 15th, 2015 at 09:09 PM ----------

I plan on finding a different instructor for my other courses regardless of what agency. Since I don't know of any specific instructor I thought picking a certification agency would be a good place to start.

You thought wrong. As others will chime in "It's the instructor... not the agency." As you've apparently concluded, based on your comment, there can be differences between one instructor and another. If you're going to blindly pick another agency... you're blindly picking another instructor. If that's the case, it doesn't much matter which one you pick.

I've been told that PADI only cares about profit and seeing courses such as golf ball divers I thought they might be on to something :p

A.) Who has told you this? (HINT: they're all profit/revenue driven to some extent)
B.) Where do you see a PADI golf ball diver cert? (HINT: most every agency offers/allows fringe specialties)

a great instructor is a great instructor regardless of the agency they teach for!

I have chosen SDI for several reasons. It looks to me that SDI really cares about the shops, ops and instructors they have. I know that a call to SDI HQ gets proper and prompt attention. And problems may well get the SDI president on the phone. Part of why SDI treats their pros better is financial. We can make more money with SDI programs. And it does not hurt that the SDI programs take a more modern approach to training than most other agencies.
And time and time again I hear of shops that have moved from the other agencies to SDI and are 110% thrilled and happy after doing so.

if you don't know an instructor in your area, call SDI HQ and ask for a highly rated instructor in your area!

Part of why SDI treats their pros better is financial. We can make more money with SDI programs.

Hmm... so a profit-driven instructor is better off leaving PADI (who is reviled for being profit-driven) and going with SDI. Go figure!

Note: not picking on you, just found it funny in light of the OP's comment about PADI being profit-driven.

As to SDI "taking a more modern approach to training than most other agencies"... I'm genuinely interested in understanding what you mean by that. I've recently looked for differences along those lines across the various agencies and have not seen anything to support that notion in any meaningful way.

One thing to consider is SDI requires an instructor to affiliate with a shop. This usually implies a higher level of accountability than an independent instructor who is just winging it. A shop should place a higher value on reputation. There are still plenty of great independent instructors out there but if you are just rolling the dice then I believe SDI gives you better odds.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved from New Divers to Q&A. Much like the Belize Blue Hole and the What's the best ... in Cozumel, this thread is asked and answered regularly. Please be nice.

One thing to consider is SDI requires an instructor to affiliate with a shop. This usually implies a higher level of accountability than an independent instructor who is just winging it. A shop should place a higher value on reputation. There are still plenty of great independent instructors out there but if you are just rolling the dice then I believe SDI gives you better odds.

First, SDI doesn't require affiliation.

Second, even if they did you're making a wild-@ss assumption that the shop any individual instructor's teaching through isn't just winging it. My experience is that, by and large, if you're just rolling the dice you may likely be better-off with an independent instructor. A shop's reputation is tied to a building/business. An independent instructor's reputation is squarely on themselves and their name. Further, an independent instructor isn't at cross-purposes when it comes to trying to train you, and sell you gear, and keep the service dept's lights on, and sell travel, etc, etc.

Obviously, the OP wasn't even asking about independent instruction... but the whole discussion comes back to "it's the instructor... not the agency, or even the shop."

That being said... does anyone recall a SINGLE post on SB, ever, where someone came here an railed against an independent instructor? Regarding ANYTHING? Seriously. Shops get blasted, agencies get blasted, instructors at shops get called out, assumptions are made about instructors from one agency or another.... But I've never seen a single "I am SO done with independent instructors" thread in the nearly 10years I've been on SB. Not a single one. ~250,000 SB members. 800,000 unique visitors. More than a half-a-million threads and over 6 million individual posts since SB was started. And I've never see even ONE complaining about an independent instructor. Is it even remotely possible that is due to random circumstances?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom