Scuba agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan77

New
Reaction score
Is one agency better than the other. I finally got my wife on board to get certified. I was just looking for input on this.

If you are a vacation/amateur diver, it really doesn't matter, as your certification cards "should" be universally accepted wherever you go. PADI has the greatest market share, and that is more of an issue if you want to work in the dive industry, but that doesn't apply to you. Just find a good instructor with whom your wife is comfortable and takes her concerns into account.

if you give your location and end diving goals, it is a bit more useful. With one post in 4 years and no profile information we can't do much. If you can tell us where you are and/or where she wants to get certified, there is a good chance that someone on here knows of a specific instructor in that region that is good.

The curricula for most open water classes are very similar. What is different is how the classes that present those materials are structured. A class can be built around the minimum time required to do the minimum required instruction, or it can be spread over more time, with more opportunity to repeat skills and work on things which have proven difficult. Often, how the class is presented is more dependent on the philosophy and economics of the dive shop and/or the instructor, than which agency's logo is on the card.

In addition, something which often isn't considered in choosing a class is the ratio of staff to students. Even if you only have one instructor, if you have a number of assistant instructors and divemasters also working with the students, the student experience can be superior to that of a student in a smaller class, but with no certified assistants involved.

To clarify my first post. GUE training is the only training where you can be 100% guaranteed the most consistent and realistically best training. No other agency can match the consistency of education that GUE offers. Downside, it is expensive and restrictive on gear choices *though certainly not a bad thing at this level, because they put you in the best starting configuration in most peoples opinions*. The other agencies have the ability to offer comparable training, but it is a crapshoot based on the instructor. This is why it is important to let us know where you are because most people on this forum will know of a good instructor in your area to help

Better is relative to what you want. Some people advocate for a more extensive, intensive course turning out a better prepared, more capable diver. Sounds great. But you're more likely to fail a course like that, or have to spend extra time getting your knowledge and performance up the par.

Many people will say they want the course with higher standards & more content. Wonder how many really do, especially if they find themselves struggling in it? I figure the mainstream OW courses are as they are for a reason...

Richard.

Is one agency better than the other. I finally got my wife on board to get certified. I was just looking for input on this.

Yes. But, that is like asking which restaurant is better than another. It depends upon a person's palate and how much diving someone wants to swallow. Some agencies have a tougher curriculum which works better for the prospective student who is very enthusiastic about learning and really wants to be a diver. Others cater to those who just want an easy path to certification. But, you should find an instructor who can help you attain your goals safely - not theirs. It's sad when people have their own dreams of what they want diving to be only to be molded by an industry's politics. No matter the agency the instructor is the most important entity in the balance of achieving knowledge and safety while instilling you with passion and fostering community. Too often divers are divided by agencies and gang signs rather than united by a love of the underwater world.

Back
Top Bottom