Dive Master vs Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the main differences between a dive master and a master scuba diver . What is the difference between the two programs offered through PADI? I am finishing up my rescue diver course and want to continue learning. Currently I have over 50 logged dives and two specializations with Nitrox. Are the benefits the same or different between a dive master and master diver? Please explain.

Thanks

Chachee

Master Diver is simply a recognition that you have completed 5 specialties, rescue diver, and have at least 50 logged dives. Its kind of a pat on the back and an acknowledgement that you have made a commitment to diving as a recreational diver.

DiveMaster is the first professional level. Most divemaster courses are conducted over an eight to 12 week period. You must pay for liability insurance and membership dues annually. As a divemaster you can lead local dives, assist instructors, and conduct certain scuba reviews and discover scuba classes. There are numerous requirements and a serious time commitment necessary for the course.

For master diver the specialties required are deep and uw nav. Nitrox counts as do other more useless specialities such as boat diver, fish ID, project aware, etc. If you go for it get some useful ones like search and recovery, night/low vis, drysuit if applicable, wreck, peak buoyancy, etc. Ones that will actually help your skills. The others can be done later when you have money to throw away.

As was said DiveMaster is the first pro level. Some of us refer to it fondly as indentured servitude depending on where you are or who you do the course with. You'll focus alot on theory, teaching methods, organization, and marketing. Your skills will be tested and will need to be demonstration quality. You'll get alot of time in the water and also schlepping gear, cleaning it, putting it away, perhaps "volunteering" at the shop, etc. If you don't plan on ever teaching or trying to work as a divemaster I'd skip it. The theory you can get by reading,the organizational skills by working at most any job, and the marketing is a big waste of time as far as your diving goes.

Master Scuba Diver with PADI is nothing more then the completion of 5 specialties and 50 logged dives. Master Scuba Diver certification through NAUI is a comprehensive course that teaches many things including indepth physics, rescue, and numerous other skills.
Dive Master is the first level of being certified a professional which mandates certain things as DiveDoggie outlined above.
If you wish to become a professional, then Dive Master is the program for you. Upon completion you will have learned and practiced many skills beyond the PADI Master Scuba Diver.
But, if you merely wish to remain recreational but wish to enhance your diver skills and learn more, then NAUI Master Scuba Diver is the course I would recommend.
Go to the respective web sites and look over the requirements for a bette idea of what is required for certification as a Master Scuba Diver through PADI and NAUI. I think you will agree NAUI is a much better MSD course.
Good Luck and safe diving.

For master diver the specialties required are deep and uw nav. Nitrox counts as do other more useless specialities such as boat diver, fish ID, project aware, etc.

Are you saying that for master diver you have to do the deep and uw navigation specialties? I did them as part of my AOW, but I have not done the extra dives to get the official "specialty". It doesn't say anything about that on the Master Diver section on the PADI website, and I've never heard that before...

PADI Master Scuba Diver Course Details

I thought it was Rescue Diver, AOW, and any five specialties.

Also another question related to that. Do you get Master diver automatically when you complete the pre-reqs, or are there classes and dives associated with the card?

When I got my Master Diver there were no requirements on which specialties were needed, I think it is still any five.

It is not automatic, you have to send in the form with a processing fee and proof of five specialties.

Oh ok, but it's just a form and fee (of course there is a fee, it's PADI). I just wanted to know if there was a test or anything.

Caribbeandiver-
If you wanted to do the NAUI Master Diver, would your PADI specialties count or would you need to get NAUI open water certified and do X amount of NAUI specialties?

Gtaylor is correct. any 5. So I guess boat diver, fish ID, project aware, bug eye mask, and manatee wrangler, make you a master diver. See why it's not worth the 40 bucks. I wish it would require some actual diving specialties that are worthwhile. And no your padi specialties woukd not count towards NAUI master diver. It's set up quite differently. 23 hours of estimated classroom time, widest variety of diving envrionments as possible. Required dives in deep w simulated decompression, limited vis/night, search and recovery- light salvage, emergency procedures and rescue. Number of dives is set by the instructor but a minumum of 8 is required in the course. The 5 noted plus 3 of the following elective dives involving practical applications of skin diving, basic scuba skills, environmental study or survey, air consumption, boat diving, shore diving, hunting and collecting, special interest. Usually the instructor requires a demonstration of the practical applications with an academic presentation of each. Academics include classroom sessions covering applied sciences-physics, physiology, medical aspects and fitness. Diving equipment, Diving risks, diving environment, uw navigation, limited visibility, search and recovery- light salvage, deep and simulated decompression( theory and practical applications). the instructor may require exams and tests in all the areas. ALso it is not unusual for the instructor to require a set number of dives before starting the course and doing a skill eval to see if you're ready to start it.

Gtaylor is correct. any 5. So I guess boat diver, fish ID, project aware, bug eye mask, and manatee wrangler, make you a master diver. See why it's not worth the 40 bucks. I wish it would require some actual diving specialties that are worthwhile. And no your padi specialties woukd not count towards NAUI master diver. It's set up quite differently. 23 hours of estimated classroom time, widest variety of diving envrionments as possible. Required dives in deep w simulated decompression, limited vis/night, search and recovery- light salvage, emergency procedures and rescue. Number of dives is set by the instructor but a minumum of 8 is required in the course. The 5 noted plus 3 of the following elective dives involving practical applications of skin diving, basic scuba skills, environmental study or survey, air consumption, boat diving, shore diving, hunting and collecting, special interest. Usually the instructor requires a demonstration of the practical applications with an academic presentation of each. Academics include classroom sessions covering applied sciences-physics, physiology, medical aspects and fitness. Diving equipment, Diving risks, diving environment, uw navigation, limited visibility, search and recovery- light salvage, deep and simulated decompression( theory and practical applications). the instructor may require exams and tests in all the areas. ALso it is not unusual for the instructor to require a set number of dives before starting the course and doing a skill eval to see if you're ready to start it.

Sounds like the NAUI Master diver is more than the PADI "card collector" recognition. But is still less than Dive Master.

BTW: how do you simulate decompresion?? Every dive is a decompresion dive. its just that those within the "recreational limits" are, as I prefer to call them, NO STOP DIVES. (not including safety stops)

Don't have to answere the question, just being a WA.

What are the main differences between a dive master and a master scuba diver . What is the difference between the two programs offered through PADI? I am finishing up my rescue diver course and want to continue learning. Currently I have over 50 logged dives and two specializations with Nitrox. Are the benefits the same or different between a dive master and master diver? Please explain.

Thanks

Chachee

Divemaster actually does not require completion of any specialties at all. It is actually focused on learning theories, science, and testing of scuba knowledge through 6 written exams. The exams apparently are similar to what will be on the instructor exam, I believe. From this basis, it is similar to the NAUI's master diver exam, which I believe is the same one that you have to take before progression to the NAUI's divemaster/instructor program. Divemaster require the internship, which is the attendance of 4 or 5 confined water training of students, and 4 or 5 openwater training of students completing OW, AOW, or other specialties. There is a physical stamina requirement for PADI's divemaster program, as I believe a physical test is also required of NAUI master diver program. I think to enter the NAUI divemaster program you will have to score higher on the written exam than if you simply want to get your NAUI master diver status. The scuba skill test of the PADI program is essentially performing the 20 skills required of the OW class, but in a "demonstration quality". You also are suppose to perform a skill which tests your problem solving. When I did it, I had no idea what to expect. You can read it in my post. The NAUI master diver program has more skills required - I think like diving gear ditch and recover, etc. The NAUI divemaster program encompasses the internship part, which include teaching students. From what I've read of the NAUI master diver program, it is quite comprehensive. I would consider doing it if it were near my home. My sister and her husband did it, and enjoyed it very much. The difference then between PADI's DM and Naui master diver program then is that one - PADI divemaster - is a "professional" status, and you can get liability insurance for leading dives, teach under supervision of an instructor, and teach a limitted number of water related program (skill refreshment, skin diver, snorkeling). While the other - NAUI master diver program - while comprehensive, does not allow you to work as a diver - whether it is cleaning tank or assisting in class. At least, you can not get liability insurance.

Both SSI and PADI has a master diver program. I believe it is simply completion of 5 speciaties, and X number of dives, plus AOW/rescue. You get it verified, pay a fee, and get a card stating that you are a master diver. But the NAUI master diver card require much more skills, testing, and committment than either SSI's or PADI. In my opinion, any of the 3 routes - PADI divemaster, NAUI master diver, or the ssi/padi master diver implied a diver with supposedly better skills. I just can't fathom why someone would pay for the ssi or padi's master diver card? Except for the prestige. PADI divemaster program is good to improve your understanding of diving science. But does it add more to my diving skills? Not really. Does it increase my confidence under water? Yes - I am much more comfortable buddy breathing, and know that I can handle stress very well when out of breath. Is my basic scuba skills better - yes - after observing multiple instructors teaching confined water sessions - I learn a few things or two.... There are more than one way to skin a cat - and more than one way to teach students. I think doing either PADI divemaster or NAUI master diver program will increase your comfort in the water and your confidence as a diver. My gut feeling is that you will learn more in the NAUI master diver program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom