Dumbing down of scuba certification courses (PADI) - what have we missed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been reading posts which talk about the simplification of PADI and other certification courses over the years. I though my PADI OW & AOW course were fantastic, but it makes me wonder---

Have new divers like myself missed important and useful information that was taught pre-1983? What has changed?

Last edited:
What "slack"? If you feel you didn't get a proper education, why are you diving without more training? PADI gets attacked ALL the time, but at the end of the day, percentage wise are PADI trained divers getting hurt more often?

Please don't get me wrong. Just went back and edited the original post for clairty.

I have ZERO problem with PADI and I think my dive education was fantastic. I specifically paid extra to attend a great school, with an awesome instructor.

I loved my instructor & dive shop - and felt they were both top notch. To suppliment the education I read the entire PADI book twice (once a year before diving) and flew from Malaysia back to Bali to take the AOW from the same instructor & shop.

I have just been reading threads that suggest PADI use to teach in more detail pre-1983 and over time the instruction has been simplified. Wonder if there is any truth to the threads and what has been omitted from the OW courses?

It's not just PADI. Most agencies have changed the course content quite a bit. But you can't really blame them. They are just giving people what they want. If some people could get scuba certified through a drive thru, they would. I can't tell you how things have changed since 1983. I can say some things are better, others are not. If you feel you could independently plan a dive with a buddy upon the completion of your OW course, then you were adequately trained...maybe. If you felt you needed more experienced divers around to assist you with the planning and diving, you weren't. I teach my students neutral buoyancy and to do all their skills while neutral in a horizontal position during the dives. We don't kneel on the bottom next to an upline. I also teach them gas management not just be out of the water with 500psi, but how to be out of the water with a safe reserve in their tanks. Most divers now days are just taught how to follow a guide.

I always get the impression its a "Kids today" mentality. I saw it with old FFs and Paramedics at the Fire Dept, and see it in the oil field now. "Let me tell you how it was when I was coming up" if you know what I mean. I still want to see true stats that percentage wise we are getting more people hurt today, or any evidence based information.
Alot of people knock PADI because its such a big agency, and eveyone likes to "feud" with the giant. Happens in alot of sports and hobbies...or in general.

All agencies have changed. Just at that point in history agencies halted the issuance of certifications without requiring open water dives. Yes, I wrote that correctly.

As I reflected on the question and read the responses, the one thing that kept coming to mind that PADI has changed was the other remaining agency's marketing profiles.

PADI was the first agency to actively market to and pursue female divers. Until the mid-70's, all certifying agencies were based on the US Navy process that had some elements remaining of "wash out tests" and literal physical harassment. NAUI courses in that period still had candidates doing push-ups in wetsuit, tanks and weights. NAUI certification for Instructors was referred to as "Hell Week" and was slightly more pleasant than the Military equivalent.

PADI taught the world about the other 51% of potential divers. That's the big change.

kathydeee

The dive training you speak of was before my days as a diver but I have been around some veterans and have quite a collection of vintage texts. Let it suffice to say that a few decades a go an OW certification consisted of what we consider to be OW, AOW, Rescue, including first aid and O2 if a chamber was available you may have taken a ride. The topcs we cosider AOW were not adventure dives but rather studied and executed as specialties. In the water exercises include harassment exercises where you would be sabotaged and need to recover, blindfolded frills, in the water gear recovery, extensive mask off and single mouthpiece buddy breathing and so forth. The academics included more math and understanding of the why, not just the how.

There are still some university semester programs that approach this. I'm sure there are some exceptional instructors that do today's modules in good depth and go beyond the letter of the standard. In today's instant gratification state of mind few individuals would sign up for a program like this. People want to make a minimal investment to make a warm water trip or try local diving. It's based on the learners permit mentality that gets you in the water but expects you to follow up with more classes, mentoring or self study.

The information is still there and you can be a capable a diver as you want to be but the entry hurdle has all but been removed.

Pete

Have new divers like myself missed important and useful information that was taught pre-1983? What has changed?
It is not clear that what has transpired is a 'dumbing down' of training, as much as a minimalization of the requirements for initial certification. If you go even farther back in history, there was a period when you didn't need to be certified at all to dive. Diving and dive training was in its infancy and a number of people learned simply by doing. There is a very well known underwater photographer - his pictures appear in many publications and he has authored numerous books on marine life identification, among other things - who only became certified a few years ago after diving (uncertified) for more decades than many divers, and some instructors, on SB have been alive.

Or, students learned through what amounted to an apprenticeship, where individual instructor discretion regarding what was essential, and individual instructor judgement and assessment of the student's fitness for certification, was the norm.

The formalization of dive training evolved from several sources, including a significant military process influence as well as a less extensive but equally important academic organization influence. These converging factors led to the development of standards that were perceived to be 'high' or 'rigorous', but not necessarily 'market friendly'. As the diving community expanded, and the market for equipment and training grew, it became a more market-driven process, as noted.

A number of things have changed. As some have said, not all is good, not all is bad. Perhaps, the biggest change is that the threshold of knowledge and skill required for initial OW certification has been moved. If you think of a continuum of knowledge and skill as a straight line, running from the left which is 'minimal', to the right which is 'extensive', the threshold for initial certification has moved to the left. The continuum itself has probably broadened, so there is more room to enhance your overall knowledge. But, the initial requirements are fewer in number, and less stringent. As an example, at the OW level:

1. The physical requirements have been modified and are no longer as demanding.
2. The academic content has been reduced, and there is far less emphasis on diving theory. Some of what was previously included is now taught at the Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, or even Divemaster level, for example.
3. The process of 'diving' has been compartmentalized into certain basic skills, that are 'mastered' on an individual skill level, with less emphasis is placed on the formal integration of the skills. You see comments on SB about skills being performed 'kneeling on the bottom' of a pool, or on an underwater platform, vs being performed while neutrally bouyant in the water column (with the former approach viewed with disdain, even scorn).

Have you 'missed' information? Probably. Much (but not all) of the skill training and information is still there, it is just presented at a different (later) point in the diving instruction process.

Three suggestions to gain a better understanding of this evolution.

1. There are a number of threads on SB addressing this topic. A particularly useful, recent (and still active) thread involves discussion of what standards need to be changed. A search on 'standards' might help you locate this and other informative threads.

2. There are some on the forum that point to the content of the 100 hr Scientific Diving training programs, offered through a number of universities, as the gold standard for dive training. There are a number of university websites that list the contents of these types of program, such as the one at University of South Florida, and I suggest you take a look at www.research.usf.edu/diving/diving.htm as one example.

3. To the extent possible, take a look at the OW requirements / standards of different agencies, including PADI, and you will see subtle differences, about what is taught, when it is taught, or how it is taught. I don't think that, at the OW level, the standards are materially different in terms of the ultimate safety of divers certified under those standards. At least, there are no objective data supporting that situation, notwithstanding many anecdotal assertions that such differences exist.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom