Padi Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hannahevan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was an active padi dm till 2002, stopped paying insurance and working with classes,dove until 2004.Now im getting back into diving would my dm number still be the same ,i would guess so since it was assigned to me?

Yes your number will remain the same. While you quit paying insurance and working classes, did you stop paying dues? If you haven't already done so, you will want to contact PADI HQ to determine what you will need to do to be put back as active. Could be as simple as pay this years dues all the way to retake the course. If I were to guess I would say they will make you take the written exams over and redo the watermanship skill evaluations.

The key is that you'll need to be current. For example, I assume they'll ask you to demonstrate proficiency with the eRDPML.

Your DM number will be the same; they are for life, not just christmas!
You're still a Divemaster - just not in active status.

I know this is all way of the OP's question but I think it's a useful discussion. I don't know exactly what the requirements would be to get active status back, to be honest - you will need to contact PADI directly. The Rescue Course, for example, has changed radically since 2002 and it's entirely possible that PADI might require you to participate in a Rescue refresher. In fact - as I'm typing this I'm rembering somebody approaching me for advice after being told by PADI that as an inactive instructor for ...[however many]... years he would have to do exactly that.

They may well ask you to submit a new medical clearance and of course your CPR/first aid requirements will need to be up to date (within the last 2 years). I would expect they would require you to do demonstrate the 20 required skills and sit the exams.

This is more muse than fact - but I know for sure that one or more of these things has happened to a goodly number of my porfessional students over the years. Mostly, it has to be said, instructors who had taken some time off and wanted to get back into the industry. Several had to re-do their whole IDC.

Anyway as I say that's off topic - apologies to hanna - but as always feel free to PM if you have any questions regarding stuff like this.

Safe diving,

C.

Back
Top Bottom