NAUI Master Diver Test Prep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DoogaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a diver who has been out of the water for several years due to the fact I am a member of the US military with frequent obligations and a variety of other reasons. I am currently deployed, but will be in California for two weeks on leave very soon. I will be spending the time with my best friend, who is a NAUI Instructor Trainer and intend to dive almost every day. I have purchased the NAUI Master Diver Education System, have read the text from cover to cover, completed the workbook, and watched the DVD. I intend to spend the first few days in Cali doing some refresher dives remastering basic skills, and then to take the Master Diver exam, and if my skills, comfort level, and knowledge are to par, to complete the Master Diver certification, as well as several specialties, to include Rescue Diver, DAN O2 Provider, Nitrox Diver, and possibly a few others.

What I am looking for is a test preparation resource, such as online practice exams. I would particularly be interested in resources to further develop my "math" skills in regard to diving at this level. Aside from a desire to do well on the exam, I feel these are important skills to develop, as although I own a computer, I do not feel divers should rely solely on them for safety purposes.

As I have not dove in some time, my buddy and I intend to play it by ear. We will not rush my advancement if I am not in fact ready. We will continue to hone my skills, accomplish what we can, and have fun. Either way, I will be a more competent diver for having completed the book work side of things prior to getting in the water, with or without the "prestigious" Master Diver C Card.

Any assistance in locating any resources along these lines would be much appreciated. The few sample problems presented in the text are simply insufficient, and I would rather spend my time buried in the books now, in the desert, than when I am in sunny southern California!

DoogaDiver,

The NAUI Master Diver Exam is tough. There is lots of stuff to remember. But, it looks like you are doing the all the right things to prepare.

Yes.. the book isn't enough, but I am not sure it should be either. Prep for the NAUI Master Diver exam isn't just reading the book, going thru the workbook and watching the DVD. Remember, there is a classroom requirement as well. By completing the book before the classroom discussion you are well head of the game. The classroom will re-enforce what you read in the book and help you in the areas that are confusing:
NAUI Worldwide Master Scuba Diver

For the exam, remember to bring your Dive Tables. You are right about relying on dive computers too much. And I admit.. I was a little rusty with the tables at first. If you are a computer geek like me, the "Computerized Table Tutor" might help:
Scuba Diving - Dive Tables Educational Software

The section that was toughest for me was the Diving Physics section. My head is spinning just thinking about it. Boyle, Charles, Amonton and Henry all had too much free time on their hands! Don't know if you can find any real practice online for this so...so ask your instructor to review this with you. Your instructor should have some addition sample problems that will help you focus on what is in the exam.

Anyway... I don't know if this was helpful or not. But... looks like you have right attitude and a good game plan.

Good luck!

Thank you Law5Guy, for your response. I am taking a look at the dive tables educational software right now. I've been surprised in my searches that there aren't more online resources for working through the various calculations we must take into consideration when planning dives, such as buoyancy and the various gas law calculations as they apply to diving. Perhaps this is something I will keep in mind, and work on developing as I become a more proficient diver in order to assist other divers in expanding their competence.

Doogadiver....you may well be able to snag a navy dive manual where you are right now. If you can, if makes worthwhile reading. I pull a lot of my pre tests for the NAUI courses above basic diver directly from readings I have the students do in the manual. Should you wind up in Bragg or thereabouts I am not far away and would be happy to help you anyway I can.
Nous Defions
Mike

Get the book Physics for Divers by Fred Calhoun. I think it's back in print. Check with NAUI HQ.

I did my NAUI Master Diver a while back. I had to simultaneously prepare for the NAUI Master Diver, Rescue Diver, and First Aide, as well as the LA County ADP program I was attending. One note of caution, it is fine to get the books and study them, but you'll only get so much without instruction. And you might get overloaded doing them all at the same time while trying to refresh your skills.

The ADP program focused extremely heavily on dive tables and physics. It is funny, took us about 6 hours do complete the ADP program final (written exam) and about 30-45 minutes to complete each the NAUI Reccue and Master Diver and NAUI First Aide (all of which multiple choice) and most of us scored in the 92-100% range on both (but 68-75 on ADP, go figure).

Reminescing aside, my point is that you can overload yourself easily. The NAUI Dive Master exam is actually not very simple. There are a few key things you might do well to learn to make it easier: dive tables and physics but the exam isn't only those points.

You'll get some equipment questions, such as care of cyliners and regulators, more about valves than I thought relevant, and even more about bouron tube gauges and diaphragm gauges. But it treads much lighter on the exam than the book leads you to believe. Some about the ocean enviornment and physiology, search and recovery and navigation.

In all, most of which was simple enough if you read the book once or twice (the equipment chapter thrice) and really really really understand your physics though I only got about 7 or 8 questions on it but those took me some time to work out. Brain seems fried after studying for all the other exams all at once.

In short, take your time, enjoy your dives, learn your tables and dive physics, a bit about physiology, all of which as it applies to the NAUI Master Diver cirriculum, and do not stress about it. As a suppliment, I used the NoAAA Diving Manual and Navy Diving Manual v5 at the time, v6 is now current) as a suppliment to get finer understanding.

I found the NAUI Rescue significantly more challenging a test because it seems to be much more rote memorization and procedures than something you learn simply by diving with your favorite NAUI Instructor Trainier bud.

And after you're done, if you're anything like me, you'll probly still use your C-Card for airfills and soon discover you've mastered nothing about diving except elementery dive physics and dive table management. Proud as I am of the card, and as aware of my skills and comfort as I am, I feel like flashing the card would misreprent my true mastery of the craft.

What the card is supposed to mean is that you've honed your diving skills to the level of a NAUI Instructor and that your level of understanding of the academic material is at the same level. If this isn't the case, you'd better have a chat with your favorite NAUI Instructor Trainer bud.

Last edited:
What the card is supposed to mean is that you've honed your diving skills to the level of a NAUI Instructor and that your level of understanding of the academic material is at the same level. If this isn't the case, you'd better have a chat with your favorite NAUI Instructor Trainer bud.

There's a difference between having the knowledge and instructor level demonstrable skills. If they skills were instructor level, I'd wager I'd have an instructors card (super overstatement). When I got the card I was on less than 50 dives and still had many things to work on.

At one point I thought I was pretty good then I met some tech divers and saw how good they were at recreational dives. Now I realize that my skills actually aren't that good. Hence, I have a ways to go.

Anyway, my whole point lest it be hidden on us, is that the card does not mean you've mastered the art of diving. It means that you've done many different types of dives and have a vast knowledge of diving related material. Could be that you have instructor level understanding but does not make you an instructor quality diver.

No ... instructor level knowledge and diving skills are what the course was designed to provide (I should know, I am the designer). A NAUI Master Diver should be the equal of a NAUI Instructor in all ways EXCEPT: knowledge of actual teaching stuff and the NAUI organization.

No ... instructor level knowledge and diving skills are what the course was designed to provide (I should know, I am the designer). A NAUI Master Diver should be the equal of a NAUI Instructor in all ways EXCEPT: knowledge of actual teaching stuff and the NAUI organization.

That point wasn't well communicated when I took the course. In any case, that's good to know, since I've been considering heading down the path to NAUI instructor in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom