Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dhboner

Thread: PADI vs. NAUI

New User

[Too Long]

Dives
    0 - 24

PADI vs. NAUI

Which agency is better to be certified with? I'm looking to get certified within the next month or so and was wondering if one was better than the other. My sis and her family are all PADI certified and my best friends are all NAUI. Any advice?

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    You'll be able to dive with either of those cards or a host of others. I think everyone should try to find the most comprehensive approach to teaching diving in their area.

I have some advice for you in the first post of this thread.

If you'll tell me what part of Florida you call home, I might be able to direct you towards an instructor I consider excellent.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

New User

[Too Long]

Dives
    0 - 24
    Walter,

I live in the St. Pete area. Any help would be great!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    In my opinion the instructor makes more of a difference than the certifying agency. Both PADI and NAUI are widely accepted so you should talk to other divers and try to find an instructor who comes recommended. You will learn more and retain more if you work with a motivated instructor no matter what agency they represent.

Bob (Toronto)
    Happily stirring the pot since 1958!

New User

[Too Long]

Dives
    0 - 24
    Well I have an instructor that came recommended from 2 different parties completely independent of each other who's NAUI. I just want to make sure I get someone who's comprehensive and he seems to be if 2 different people recommend him. I just wasn't sure if there was a big difference between the 2.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    i actually got certed with both, maybe its an option

Registered

is moving city

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsnik View Post
    Well I have an instructor that came recommended from 2 different parties completely independent of each other who's NAUI. I just want to make sure I get someone who's comprehensive and he seems to be if 2 different people recommend him. I just wasn't sure if there was a big difference between the 2.
    between PADI and NAUI there isn't a significant difference in the end result between the two.

go with the recommended instructor or whichever shop you feel more comfortable with...

SEI/CMAS Instructor Trainer

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by lindsnik
    I just want to make sure I get someone who's comprehensive and he seems to be if 2 different people recommend him.
    Maybe, but most divers think their instructor was excellent, even when the instructor is really inadequate. Interview him to be sure. Print out the questions in the link I provided and find out how comprehensive a course he teaches.
    The Devil's in the details.

Disclaimer: All discussion of value, by me or anyone else, is opinion.

For a comprehensive approach to diving education, check out Scuba Educators International (SEI) Diving.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bracko View Post
    between PADI and NAUI there isn't a significant difference in the end result between the two.

go with the recommended instructor or whichever shop you feel more comfortable with...
    This is not exactly a true statement. There are significant differences in OW training standards among the agencies. Some allow a person to get certed in a weekend with minimal skills while others are far more comprehensive. And often at no more expense. NAUI is another agency (along with a few others) that includes rescue skills in the OW class that PADI does not. They also have skills in the pool sessions that under other systems do not come until much later if at all.

The myth that all Basic OW classes are the same is one that quickly gets blown away when a new diver begins to actually compare the actual standards. One reason why I have them from 6 agencies and allow and encourage my students to look at.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Solo Diver

Not tilting Maui's windmills!

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Jim, could you please list all the agencies you have Standards for with Standards that "allow" certification in a weekend?

Your definition of "weekend" would be nice as well.

Also, are you including the students homework? (book/video or eLearning)

Canon S95 / Recsea / INON AD's / Ike DS200, QR Arm & EV / Nikonus SB-101 Tray (mod)